Duranta

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Has anyone noticed how fragrant the white duranta is compared to the other varieties.
I have the light and dark purple and 2 different variegated forms. One of the variegates has never bloomed but the others have and none of them have much if any fragrance. The white is very reminiscent of lilac.
Jan...

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

hi jan, yes! ive noticed. i had blue, white and variegated in the Keys. the blue i trained into a standard. when i left it was about 9 ft. tall and great. the white (which does smell better) i left scandent and close to the doorway and it was doing great too. the variegated had a couple of blooms on it in the beginning but then one whole side died. i trimmed it up but it was looking pretty pitiful when i left. nice leaf, but not as strong a plant i suspect. debi

I started some from seeds and tried to grow them into standards but they were so stubborn that they get branching out the whole trunk length regardless. I do have a large purple one that I trimmed all the lower branches off and left 3 main trunks with a canopy of growth on top that trailed over. Looks pretty good. I'm in the process of doing the same with one of the white ones. My variegated ones weren't doing too well under I put them in the ground. They are now going gangbusters. I have the green and white var. and the green/yellow var.
Jan...

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Wow! I didn't know there were so many varieties of Duranta. I think, though, that last year I picked up the white variety when I found it in a store. I recall its species name was identified on its plant tag as "repens" instead of "erecta"? which would tend to indicate it grew closer to the ground/not as tall as the blue. I can't find any mention of Duranta repens in the Plant Files.

Now you've inspired a new quest: to have one of each of the Duranta varieties!

Jeremy

Duranta "repens" was changed to Duranta "erecta".

This is a good info page on Duranta.

http://www.sdhortsoc.org/duranta.htm

Houston, TX

How do I propagate Duranta?

(Zone 1)

This Spring I saw a really pretty lilac/purple flowered duranta at Wal-Mart Garden Center, almost bought one but wanted to read up on it first and kept forgetting. Seeing this thread jostled my memory. I had no idea they came in more than one color! And, now that I hear some are fragrant I must get one!

I found this one in PF: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/153655/

and this one: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1320/

Any tips on which would be the better one to grow? I would try and find one of each but don't have the room for more than one!

They sure are gorgeous plants: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=images+of+duranta&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

I think they propagate pretty easily from cuttings.
I hadn't noticed the white was so fragrant, must go sniff tomorrow.

They do come in several shades of purple and also in white. Then there are the variegated ones, one is white and green and one is yellow-gold and green. There is also one called Cuban Mound where the leaves are lighter and somewhat yellow gold with the new growth. They are great for full sun (even the variegated take it without much leaf damage.) They are draught tolerant when established and the butterflies and bees love them.

Here is the white flowered variety.

Thumbnail by budgielover

Here is the yellow/green variegated that I trained to a 8 ft standard

Thumbnail by budgielover
West Central, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey Jan...Your yard is really comming along there!
I recently planted the white/green variegated Duranta you gave me in the ground. I hope it blooms, but the foliage is very nice and if that's all I get I will be just as happy...lol!

I have a small white one still in the pot. It just bloomed now I will have to stick my nose in it to see if it smells...
I read that some of these varieties have thorns when mature....have you found that to be true?
I haven't seen any thorns on mine.
I trained my purple one to a standard also. It may need more trimming by next spring. It's getting pretty big!. Can't get the whole thing in the picture.

Thumbnail by shellabella
South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Michelle, I took cuttings to root one time, and 2 of them ended up having thorns and the other 2 didn't. Go Figure. Must be some kind of long lost trait, they have. lol

Hi Michelle,
The yard is still a work in progress. Most of the background stuff is gone and I have since planted a hedge of Cuban Gold Duranta in front the of Podocarpus hedge and mulched the whole area.
Have most of the grass now replaced with beds/mulch except for small areas in between I have to finish. Too dang hot these days. As far as I know, all the duranta have thorns to some degree except some of the purple varieties but I could be wrong.

This message was edited Jul 16, 2008 9:10 AM

Wow Jan you have been busy!
It's been way to long since I visited you or vice versa.

Your right, it's been way too hot.....some days I do the Nestea Plunge into the pool clothes and all....lol!

Thanks fo the data on the thorns Jan and Lucy. I sorta planned on them developing them and I have got them planted accordingly. I will plan the same just incase for the White one.

I'm done working for the day....gotta get busy outside.

asdesign - you asked above about how to propagate Duranta and don't seem to have gotten an answer.

I've found the Duranta (all varieties) to be one of the easiest "woody stemmed" plants to propagate. Just cut off some tips about 4 - 6 inches long, stick them in potting soil and keep the soil consistently moist in a shady spot. They will root fairly quickly. I have 2 or 3 pots of propagated Duranta sitting around because I tend to propagate more every time I do any pruning. You don't really need rooting hormone to propagate them, but it won't hurt to give them an extra boost.

The thorns on Duranta are not really a problem until you get into very close contact with them. The thorns are more like stiff spurs about 1/2 inch long or less typically. They are sharp enough, though, that I put on gloves when pruning or planting Duranta.

I've found the variegated types tend to flower less than the standard green Duranta. I've not noticed an aroma from my white-flowering Duranta. I will have to check it out to see if it is perfumed.

Jeremy

Actually, I don't have alot of luck with cuttings of duranta from new growth or old. I am luck to get 1 out of 15 to strike and thrive. I have been able to get some to root by staking the branch to the ground and mounding dirt over a node. I'm going to play with air layer some older branches.
I have sprouted some from seed also but it's hit or miss.

Interesting, budgie. I have completely different response from the Duranta. I basically just stick them in dirt and put them in the shade and water them regularly and they take root. Maybe it is the difference in our climates/Zones?

Jeremy

Could be. I have the best cutting luck from the yellow/green var. than any others.

Houston, TX

Thanks for the info about propagating Duranta. Have cut some branches (actually I butched the plant so only have one leafless main trunk left) and put into soil.

Just keep the cuttings moist and in the shade until you see them perk up. The end tips of branches work best for propagating. If you have any rooting hormone powder, you can sprinkle that around on top of the soil. Good luck with them!

Jeremy

Here's a photo I got today of my propagated Duranta. This white and green variegated one may be D. erecta variegata http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/96414/ but it was one of the Lowe's bargain plants last year and I don't think it had a specific name.

I've also propagated D. erecta 'aurea' (Gold Mound duranta). I've not tried the solid green type. Maybe that one doesn't propagate well?

Jeremy

Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener

Nice job Jeremy!

You give me hopeJeremy. I'll have to cut some tomorrow.

Orlando, FL

I had no idea what I came into this thread for. I was curious about Duranta. Funny part is. I THINK I have 2 of them. My son in law wanna be was throwing them out. I took them. They looked pitiful. He said they were variegated hibiscus. But never flowered. I did not think they looked like hibiscus..but I have been wrong before. I planted them. They are green centered leaves with creamy edging. They have lavender flowers on them. I have no idea if they have a scent a not. I only had one lonely little flower so far. Here a pic...is it some sort of Duranta? I would be very happy to know its name.

Thumbnail by Moofiepoo

That looks like this one http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/72949/

Jan gave me one and DH kept calling it a hibiscus too...lol!

I agree with ShellaB's I.D. It looks like the same Duranta I propagated from cuttings (photos above).

Jeremy

Yes it is the white/green variegated duranta.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.