My Balcony

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I'd better post pics now, or they'll all start going by. So here's my favorite, Salsa Asiatics.

Thumbnail by revclaus

Next favorite is mostly foliage, some nicotiana and torenia.

Thumbnail by revclaus

My water garden.

Thumbnail by revclaus

Glennis coleus. I love this one!

Thumbnail by revclaus

This is from 6/19. Social Climber rose, 2nd year.

Thumbnail by revclaus

Pink carpet rose

Thumbnail by revclaus

This has gone by now, but I'm so proud of my first year Paul M. Wild peony!

Thumbnail by revclaus

Lobelia, mid-June. It's bigger now. I plant one of these every year.

Thumbnail by revclaus

A few others on the north facing railing

Thumbnail by revclaus
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Hi,

I really enjoyed your pictures. Especially the second one with the foliage plants. Can you tell me the names of them?

Also, how do you get your lobelia to bloom? Mine are very healthy, and full plants but not blooming much. Do you fertilize them? And if so, what do you use?

Jeanette

Hi Jeanette, thanks for admiring my garden. It always makes it so worth it if I can share.

The foliage plants are:

Kale "Redbor"
Colocasia "Illustris" (although that doesn't seem to have taken off the way I expected it would, it's kind of hidden)
Centaureau "Colchester White"
Plectranthus argentatus "Quicksilver"
Plectranthus "Variegated"
Emerald Tiara hosta
Blue Cadet hosta

I mix Osmocote into the soil whenever I plant anything. That's all. Do your lobelia get enough sun? Mine are north facing, but get a lot of early morning and late afternoon sun.

Judith

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Beautiful containers, Judith! Alot of neat plants.
:) Donna

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

lovely

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Yes, mine are also on the north deck. They get about 6 hours of sun a day. They are blooming but just not as nice as I have seen others like yours. Maybe they are jusst slow. I started them from seed.

Jeanette

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I wanted to edit to add:

That I think the container you have them in with those colors is outstanding. Jeanette

Wouldn't let me edit.

The only things I started from seed were morning glories. Most are perennials. But I wonder if my garden turned out so well this year because of a product I used called "Messenger" that I stumbled onto online this spring. I've used it twice this summer and once again today. They suggest you use it once a month. From the literature that came with it: "It's based on a naturally occurring protein called harpin that boosts a plant's immune system and stimulates growth." I haven't had any pest or disease problems at all. You can read more about it at www.messenger.info.

Jeanette, thanks about the container. The pot was a water garden until it developed a crack, so I thought it would look good with this arrangement in it. I love it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.