Duranta repens 'Sapphire Showers'

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Ok--How do we get this guy to BLOOM? Last year, I planted it blooming.........believe it or not, it survived the winter, came back nice & thick, but no blooms!

What's the trick?

MKJ

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

No Trick. They love full sun. The only reason I can think of for them not blooming is if they are not getting enough sun. Mine receives partial sun and have just started blooming this month. A neighbor's gets full sun and has been blooming for two months now.

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Mine gets FULL all day sun too.........sits with roses. NOT blooming! Argh......lol. Well, I'll give him a bit more time.........the alocasia is JUST now coming up too, so..........

Crossing my fingers.........
MKJ

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Ugh.........still no blooms........I'm growing SO impatient.........grr......

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Since it has been so dry in Texas, I will ask if it is getting plenty of water. Given that, I would apply one of those fertilizers which are designed to bring flowers into bloom--I think they are the ones that have a high phosphorous content--a high middle number in comparison to the first and third number. The label will say that it brings flowers that have been pouring their resources into root building and producing canes into bloom. After all, you did see it in bloom last year so you know it can.

I don't think this is a grafted plant but you know that sometimes when plants are winterkilled, the above ground part, the part that excels in blooming, is killed and never comes back; but the below ground part of the graft, the part that excels in producing canes and growing leaves, comes back by itself. The plant has a completely different look from what it had previously and it blooms very little or not at all. That happens with Hibiscus and some grafted fruit producing trees and roses and just about any grafted plant which suffers winterkill.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.