Native Plant (wanted)

Titusville, FL(Zone 9a)

Anyone have access to Gopher Apple seeds??????

Lakeland, FL

SOOO What's a Gohper Apple? Yes old people ask a lot of questions. hee hee Corky

High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

If it's Licania michauxii you're looking for, we have it growing on our property. I've never observed it enough to see any seeds, though. Don't know if it would transplant well, but I'm willing to give it a try.

Lakeland, FL

hmmmm very interesting

Ooops! Sorry Corky, I forgot you wanted to know what it was...Gopher Apple is a low growing native plant (sometimes called Ground Oak.) It produces a fruit that's a favorite of gopher tortoises, and many other wild animals.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9a)

I love to try to see if I can get one from you... I use to have a lot back when I lived in Titusville, but now in Jax I dont see any at all!

Chris

Chris, I'll try and get some potted up. If it survives, I'll be sure and let you know!

Sarasota, FL

These fruit in late summer.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I'm pretty sure I've seen those growing near me. Never bothered to look for seeds. Maybe I will this year.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I bought a few from www.mailordernatives.com They sell the plants, not seeds though. This is the first year I've seen them offer the plants so I made sure and ordered a couple. Both are happily thriving in my side yard.

Melanie

Orlando, FL

I have lived here for 35 years and never heard of that. Gonna have to have a look. I have a gopher turtle hole out front...it is active too. I see prints and all but have never seen the thing.

Fountain, FL(Zone 8b)

I'm pretty sure this is the stuff I've been trying to chop out of my yard for years now. I'll go out and take a pic of it tomorrow afternoon (after my town trip) and post it to be certain. If it is, you can have all I can dig for postage.

Fountain, FL(Zone 8b)

Oh my gosh, I totally forgot to come back and post the pics of this thing.
Here they are (I think this is the same thing)....If you want them, I won't take the hoe to them yet ;)

Thumbnail by libellule
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Libellule, that sure looks like it in comparison to the Plant Files photos. I've never seen the Gopher Apple first hand. BotanyGuy that originally started this thread and requested the seeds isn't active on DG much for the last year. I may still have a phone number or E-mail address for him. I'll try to let him know the plant has been found!

Jeremy

Fountain, FL(Zone 8b)

Jeremy,
Paint me red! I didn't notice the date on the original post. hehe
Oh well, now I know what to call it while I'm chopping it out of there.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

It was an interesting adventure and we all learned something along the way. What could be better?!
LOL BotanyGuy may still be interested in some seeds or plants. I'll just have to see if I can find the business card he gave me a few years ago.

Jeremy

Fountain, FL(Zone 8b)

Yes..we learned something and that is always good. I had wondered what those 'weeds' were and now I know.
I'm sure there will always be plenty of them on this place. Too many acres to chop it all out.
Thanks for the follow up. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.