To cut or not

Deltona, FL(Zone 9a)

I planted what was supose to be corkscrew vine on a pergolia my husband built for me. In one box by end I put the above and a maypop. Well what I got was NOT corkscrew vine. I am trying to decide if I am going to chop it down or not. I wanted the corkscrew vine so much..And the nursery swore that they had them...yah!!! I don't know what to do yet. This is the second time this has happened to me with the same plant.

Thumbnail by cinnabor
Lake Havasu City, AZ(Zone 10a)

You probably have a snail vine. Lots of people ...and nurseries...confuse the snail vine and corlscrew vine and use the same name for them both. The snail vine has purple flowers, is not fragnant, and flowers more freely than the corksrew vine. The corkscrew vine is fragnant and has cream and purple flowers. I have the snail vine and am happy with it. Although it is not fragrant it grows like crazy and is covered with flowers.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Unfortunately(since it was not what you were wanting) you did get the snail vine, and not the corkscrew. But, the snail vine is certainly still a premium and choice vine.
It has lots of great green foilage, and blooms constantly all summer into fall. It is easy and very rewarding...the corkscrew is MUCH fussier and only blooms at the end of the season. The corkscrew also has much less foliage and isn't nearly as full and green.(the leaves yellow easily).

In your zone, the snail vine will come back from the ground each year.
I would suggest, however, that the snail or the maypop(either one) is certainly enough for one pole a piece. Perhaps when your snail vine dies back in winter, you can remove one of the plants, and plant on another one of your poles.
If you don't want to keep it, there will be plenty of people who'd trade for it. But, now would not be the best time to disturb it.

Park's Seeds has the corkscrew(the real one) and if they still have any left, they were running a half price sale. You might want to check it out.
-T

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is the thread that has the Park's seed link:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/525698/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.