Shady problem area help/advice?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I have an area that is a real problem for me.

It's on the west side of my house, very shady, some dappled afternoon sun in the shade from two crabapple trees. I have heavy clay, and the area gets a few nubs of grass, a few small sheets of moss, but neither will fill in. Ferns and hostas do well. My neighbor has just put in a fence which I'd like to camoflage.

Can someone suggest a vine that is not too invasive? It's okay if it doesn't flower, though something that would attract hummingbirds would be welcome. Variegated would be nice if it doesn't flower. I considered porcelainberry until I checked out the comments here and discovered that it's a real pest. I have a campsis radicans and a lonicera 'dropmore scarlet' on a sunny section of the fence to one side of this shady area, and a clematis on the other side of the shady area on another sunny section, and I suppose they will grow toward one another and fill in if nothing else. But I thought it might be nice to have something that would thrive in the shade in that section.

If there aren't any good vines for this area -- and I've been doing a lot of research and can't seem to find anything that isn't a pest -- then I'll just let the clematis and trumpets fill in and plant some tallish hostas and ferns. But if I can find something a little more interesting, that would sure be nice.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Val

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I wonder if climbing hydrangea would be a possibility (with amended soil)---but maybe not enough sun...and wouldn't grow fast enough to suit your need...very elegant though...

BTW, valeree, WELCOME to DG! It's great to know there's another Cincinnatian posting! t.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Clematis paniculata (sweet Autumn clematis) will bloom in shade and in very fast growing. Bignona carpreolata......Aristolochia durior........

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you, I'll check out those! And thanks for the welcome!

Val

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi Val,
You will probably put this under the 'pest' catagory...Varigated Virginia Creeper. It's beautiful and I bet the varigated variety is not as crazy as the plain green.
S

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

How about a very tall perennial instead of a vine. Ligularia or lobelia cardinalis both do well in clay and shade, provided they get some water. Ligularia desdamona had pretty foliage, blooms yellow/gold from summer into early fall, and gets about 4 feet high

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 5b)

How about Yellow-net Honeysuckle 'Aureoreticulata' (Lonicera japonica). The only problem I have with this vine is it can be quite particular about the soil. Mine does not like to dry out. It has very pretty varigated leaves and it has the sweet honeysuckle smell when it blooms.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/80315/index.html

I have mine growing in full shade and it is doing really well. I also have a Nelly Moser clematis that is doing rather well in part shade--the blossoms last longer in the shade.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/694/index.html

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I have a comparable problem (including clay) and am so glad you posted the question: maybe I'll get a few ideas I haven't thought of from replies to your posting. The suggestions for climbing hydrangeas and autumn clematis where what I first wanted to suggest. Maybe I can elaborate a little for you: there are about a dozen kinds of climbing hydrangeas with which I'm familiar, and there is a lovely slightly variegated one (lighter green margins) called Hyd. anomala subsp. petiolaris 'Mirranda'. They do take several years before you get much coverage: the adage is the "first yr. they sleep, the next year they creep and the third they leap". They only bloom once they stop growing, so if your fence isn't huge, you can limit the expansion of the plant to promote flowering. Not all of them will grow on fences--if it's a sturdy, solid fence then they'll take, but if it's basically chain link, my understanding is that only Hydrangea anomala ssp. petiolaris will grow on that. Before buying, ask the vendor if the variety you're interested in needs a solid surface to cling to (such as a tree, wall, solid fence), I've planted about 6 kinds of climbing hydrangeas, and find the foliage from Schizophragma hydrangeoides 'Moonlight' absolutely gorgeous. Here's a picture of it (year 2, still creeping). Schizophragma integrifolium var. molle (Chinese Climbing Hyd) seems to get off to a faster start. Though they don't produce berries, they are attractive to birds as a place to hide/jump around, etc. Something else I'm trying (facing west) is Rubus Odoratum (these are brambles, I believe they'll bear raspberries and I planted them specifically to attract birds). They'll form thickets over time, and birds also love thickets to nest and forage in. This particular variety has attractive foliage and is growing well for me near my hostas and ferns. I've also put in some shrubs (quite a few viburnum) which bear berries that attract birds. I don't know if you have space for shrubs, but if you do, birds love the berries. Some viburnums are really big, others compact, so there's quite a selection. Viburnum acerifoium is pretty small. You need to plant 2 distinct varieties of a species so that fertilization can occur: otherwise you get attractive shrubs with no berries. I've purchased a lot of vines and woody ornamentals from Wilkerson Mill (hydrangea.com): they have a big selection of healthy plants, are very knowledgeable and will answer questions. Checking their website just now, I see they have Late Dutch Honeysuckle, which from their description is not invasive. The "Audubon Backyard Birdwatcher, Bird Feeders and Bird Gardens" lists also Youpon Holly as a source of berries that attract birds. Stokes "Bird Gardening Book" lists the following: Honeysuckles, Bittersweet, Grapes, Poison Ivy (yikes!), Greenbriers, Va. Creeper, Carolina snailseed and Supplejack--don't know how many of these grow in shade, but it would probably be a good starting place for research.

Thumbnail by shimer
Central, WI(Zone 4a)

It's not a vine, but some Monkshood (Aconitum) get nice and tall & do well in shade. Good Luck, Kelly

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Shimer,
I'd like to tap into your knowledge of climbing hydrangea. Do you have experience with a variety that climbs on a brick wall? Thanks in advance for your help.
Terrie

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

Val,
I have a very shady property and clay soil issues as well. Recently, I amended the soil somewhat in one area and planted toad lilies, which are great for shade and add interest/colour in the later part of summer and fall. They're great plants if you're looking to pretty up a shady spot. Here's a pic of a toad lily "Tojen" (tricyrtis Hirta) that decided to bloom like crazy today.

All the best,
Erynne

Thumbnail by Erynne
Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

Erynne - I hadn't seen that variety of tricyrtis. I have several types and love them all, but I think I may have to add Tojen to my "to get" list.

Val, I'm wondering if you could prune the crabapple trees using a technique known as 'thinning' to open up the canopy a bit and get a bit more sun. You wouldn't have full sun, but you might get enought to improve your choices of plants in that area. It might also benefit the trees, allowing more air circulation and light to enter the crown of the tree. Have you considered this possibility?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.