Z5 hardy D. Wrightii?? Apparently so :-)

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

Go figure.... Spring 2003 - started D Wrightii seeds, great plants, lovely flowers. Fall of 2003 when I was digging everything up for the end of the season, I thought I had pulled all of them since I automatically assumed they wouldn't last the below zero winter. Fast forward, I move to Ireland in April 2004, come back in June - and actually see a small plant - figured it was from a fallen seed and forget about it. Fast forward again - last night, having flown back from Dublin, Doug is touring the yard with me and I found a huge D Wrightii - of course in the wrong place, blocking my daylily bed. This one is NOT from seed - it's most definitely a mature plant. Has anyone else from Z5 had them last from year to year - this completely changes my mindset on how to plant these if I can keep mature monsters alive from season to season.

It's really too big for where it is

Questions:

Can I prune it back?
How about transplanting? (I imagine a 2 yr old plant will have quite a root system - and I'm wondering if I should just wait for the end of the season and just pull it completely if pruning or transplanting are not options) -- well, that question is answered from another thread of Judy's. Sooooooo, sounds like pruning... will have to keep digging in the forum to find out more about pruning.

All I can say is thank gawd I got all of the Lilac Le Fleur dug out - I wouldn't even have a hosta bed if they did as well as this Wrightii has.

This message was edited Jul 3, 2005 3:45 PM

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

lol lol Sorry I haven't been around to post. Pruning shouldn't hurt it in the least.

Judy

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

Thanks... I love the Wrightii - it just doesn't do well in front of short daylilies! :) I'll try and make sure I get the thing out this Fall and also have enough seeds to plant it where I really want it. They joys of plant moving....even more fun than furniture!

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 5b)

My dad and I planted Datura Wrightii seeds last summer. I dug up my plant in the fall thinking that it would for sure freeze. My father did not. Sure enough this spring his wrightii sprouted from the root that he left from the previous season! We were so suprised!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.