Peony newbie...

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Planted some peony from bareroot this year. They are still pretty little (less than 1'). How many years does it take for them to get full-size? Will they flower next year? Also, the location is a little off. When can I move them? TIA, Tamara

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Tamara--when you planted them was there any green growth...or just buds? How deep did you plant them? When you say the location is "off" what is lacking there....sun or space...?

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Here is a pic of what it looks like. I need to move it about a foot closer to the front of the bed so it will have enough room when it fills out. It is about 8" high. Tamara

Thumbnail by zone5girl

Well, it looks good---8inches is not too bad for the first year. Here are a couple basics I stick w/ from my planting guide shared w/ my from the only place I get peonies from--and local nursery w/ a field of peonies!

When planting bareroot the buds should be 2inches below the soil. If planted too deep it can prevent blooming. Allow each plant a 36in space. They are long-lived perennials w/ a tremendous root system. Planting w/ compost or similar is great--they like bonemeal too--I use it when planting and then dig some into the soil each year thereafter. And sun of course--they a sunny location. Fall planting of bareroot is best.

It is also reasonable for a peony to take 2-3 years to bloom. I have had that happen, and the first time blooms are not usually as large and full as they will be as the plant matures. On the other hand, of the 4 peonies I planted last fall, 3 bloomed this spring--a great surprise.

Hope this helps some--good luck!

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Mud Girl is right on with her advice!

Diann

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Yup! and wait till Sept. to move it.

whew.........glad for the reinforcements ;0)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.