found another site! Violet Gallery

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

BlueKat76 Dmailed me this link last night: http://www.violetgallery.com/index.html

She's hoping to stop by today. I've asked her to pick up 'Marion's Enchanted Trail' (the one I lost this spring) and 'Smitten Kitten', if they have them. I started cruising their site late last night, finally stopped and just asked her to please pick out no more than 4 new ones that she thought I really had to have. I think I will have to take a little road trip up their myself soon! That could be dangerous...

I'll ask her to post her impressions of the place. There are 2 very positive reviews of them in GW. I can't believe I didn't realize sooner that this huge violet nursery was so (relatively) nearby!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

nice site. Lucky to have it so near by you

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yes! Too bad DG co-ops have been ended/suspended.... I'd have been willing to do a small one if we could get a price break from them.... A leaf co-op would be an easy place to start (haven't hosted before), since packing would be simple. Alas.

Sorry, not trying to turn this into a thread about the co-op situation!

Donna, LMK if there's anything you're especially looking for from them, and I'll see what I can do (leaves, plantlet, or just send you a plant).... I'm pretty sure I'll get up there before it gets too cold for shipping!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Well, Kim says this place is absolutely spectacular!! Rack upon rack of gorgeous AV's under fl. lights, enough to make you dizzy. She picked out several plants and brought me a few as well. I'll be heading up there, probably sooner rather than later! :-)

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Please let us know when you decide to go...I'm sure everyone might want you to shop for us.

Great site!
The only places close to me are the local garden stores that have NOIDS...the are pretty, but still there's nothing like fine well grown Named violets to make your mouth water.

I'd be interested in a 'Lil Crystal' if they have one and maybe a few others.

MsC

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

http://www.lyndonlyon.com/index.html

i found this site. might not be new to anyone, but i thought it was great :)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Nice! I love that photo of the violet greenhouse on the first page -- hard to imagine that many violets in one place!

Their prices are a little higher than Violet Barn (Rob's) or Violet Gallery, but they do have some unique varieties... and I love that they've just celebrated 50 years of business!

Silver Spring, MD

Critterologist, How far is York Springs from you? I'm in Silver Spring and you are about 40 minutes from me.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Bluekat76 would know. I think Gettysburg is about 45 minutes from here, so I'm guessing an hour to The Violet Gallery. Are you thinking road trip? Perhaps with company?? *smiles, bats eyes*

Even if you're just heading up there on your own, PLMK any time your route takes you up this way, as you're more than welcome to stop by for a cup of coffee/tea!

Silver Spring, MD

Road trip would be nice. We are headed West this Friday. I have a new week old grandbaby who needs to see his nanna and grandpa. Maybe later in August. Can we play it by ear?

Silver Spring, MD

I was camping earlier this summer in Calidonia State Park, just past Gettysburg. I think it took me about 2 hours to get there. Sound like a day trip to me!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

CONGRATULATIONS on your new grandson! What a blessing!

Later in August sounds good. The next week or so is busy here, too. Just let me know when you're up for it!

It would be fun to head up there with a fellow AV enthusiast.... DH just isn't quite that into it! Plus, we'd get to meet... :-)

This message was edited Aug 2, 2005 10:17 AM

Silver Spring, MD

W H O ? ? ?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

"fellow AV enthusiast" is YOU, Nanna! I meant it would be fun to do a road trip up there together rather than going by myself or dragging DH along! And *you & I* would get to meet! Guess my syntax was a little confused/confusing. LOL!

Silver Spring, MD

DAH!!! Talk about slow on the draw. It would be great. I will keep you posted.

Mechanicsburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I just read through this thread for the first time, and I was happy to hear nice things about Violet Gallery. It's one of my favorite places, and they are very nice people.
It's a great example of what the violet bug can do to you. They started out in their basement, then grew into the old outbuildings of the farm they live on. Brenda retired from teaching, partly so she could have more time for violets!
When you go there you can tell right away that retailing to the public is not their main focus. They do quite a few flower shows, and a lot of mail order. But even though the space is crowded, it's fun (but dangerous!) to walk through the racks of plants and see what calls out to you.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the fun background info! I'm looking forward to getting up there sometime..... :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.