Mold on Irises

Philadelphia, PA

Would has a cure for some moldy irises that just arrived in the mail today?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

If it's just surface mold and not rot, let them soak in a solution of 1 part bleach to 9 parts water for 20 mins, then rinse in clear water and lay them out to air dry in a shady, dry spot for a couple of days before planting. If they are rotting, don't bother with them.

In either event, call the supplier immediately (if it is a commercial source) and inform them of the condition of the rzs on receipt. They should replace them at no charge to you.

Laurie

Philadelphia, PA

Thanks Laurie. It wasn't a commercial source.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

If they came from a friend or trader, you should let them know as tactfully as possible that the irises arrived moldy. It's very easy for bearded irises to mold or rot in transit if they are at all damp when packaged, and that includes moisture you can't see between the leaves of the fan. I'll post a separate thread describing my tactic for drying beardeds before shipping. If your iris sender is a DGer, perhaps you can refer her/him to my post.

Laurie

Elizabethton, TN(Zone 7a)

Any cure for mold on iris in the ground? Other than dig them up and soak them in bleach water? thanks!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Are you asking about surface mold, bacterial soft rot, or botrytis fungus?

Not being an expert, I'm not sure. It looks like surface mold - its black, and looks just like the mold that gorws on clothes when left wet in a warm place.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Hmm. Are they bearded irises or beardless? Are the rhizomes firm or soft when you press on them?

If they are bearded irises, and if the rzs are still firm, it sounds like surface mold or perhaps some type of hot climate fungus (not botrytis). I'd probably be inclined to dig them, give them a bleach water soak, and find a much drier spot in a well-drained bed in full sun to replant them. If they developed mold in-ground, I would have to assume they are planted in too damp a location.

Laurie

They are bearded, the rzs are firm, and I can only surmise that the recent monsoon type rains we had coupled with late afternoon shade did it. I will take your advice - thanks much!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.