Advice on Iris sale.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

I'm having my first curb side iris sale on July 4th. (It's a major yard sale day in my town). Are there any pointers that I should pay close attention to and some pitfalls to avoid? There will be named and unnamed varieties available.

Roni

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Roni, that sounds like a fun idea! I hope you'll let us know how it works out.

By the way I found Huckleberry Fudge at Cooley's for $3.50 and a few more also!!

Good Luck with your sale!

Bonnie

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

I advertised it on the freecyclers bistro for my hometown. I've already had several people respond and want to know if they can come early because they will be out of town on the 4th. I hope this is the beginning of something wonderful and not a nightmare.

I figure if they come early, I can give them one on one help and maybe get some orders for later digging. Of course, maybe that's not good because I'll need a pricelist or else we'll stroll around my unweeded garden. Well I guess I could always replace things by special order additions if necessary.

Hmmmm... Now how to decide on a pricelist.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

If you advertised it on Freecycle, you won't be needing a price list. Freecycle is strictly for giveaway items, as I understand it. Is that what you intended?

Laurie

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Apparently at the Bistro, you can advertise yard sales, which is what this would fall under.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I'm not familiar with the Bistro. I'll have to go to Freecycle and check it out. I know my mom was just involved in a Freecycle yard "sale" in her area, but everything was offered for free.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Roni,

I can't seem to find any mention of Bistro on the Freecycle website. Is that something that is exclusive to your own area's Freecycle group? Do they have a website where I can read about it? You've got me very curious about this Bistro thing.

Laurie

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Here's a link to ours. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bistro-hagerstownfreecyclers/

I'm really new to freecyclers but someone already took my jalopy mower! :o)

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Interesting. I wonder if any other Freecycle groups around the country or world have expanded beyond the strictly free ideal to the Bistro format. I know none of my area groups allow bartering, trading, or advertising of sales.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Well, in Winnipeg we have Freecycle, Winnipeg bargain bin (you pay) and LETS.

Lets is LETS $$. So you pay and give items and work in LETS $%$. For instance I garden for LETS$$ and then spend them on plumbin g/electrical/welding - things like that.

Freecycle is def. to keep things out of recycle bins. Things that others might use. On my freecycle I've already given away a fold up bed and have received a watrerbed heater -just what I needed for seedlings - and a waterbed liner - just what I needed to make a boggy place for my LA iris.

Inanda

Lebanon, OR

How was your sale? Good I hope.

D

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Not as well as I expected, just not enough advanced notice I guess. I will try again but now I have to figure out if I'm going to replant or do something else. I've thought about the lily auction but am not liscensed garden so not sure about legalities. However, the good thing is that those who showed up are so excited they are planning to come back in the fall to see my rebloomers. They had no idea that there were such things. So well advertise an August/September sale better. Chin up!

Roni

Lebanon, OR

You do not have to be a licensed grower on the Lily auction...honest is all and follow the letter of the auction to the Tea...
You should do well.
D

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Wow! I guess I will list a few and see how they do. I may list some of my harder to find varieties.

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

go for it Roni...:)

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Did it, already sold some too. Could become fun!

Concord, NH(Zone 5a)

What is the lily auction?

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

It a place where you can go to sell your plants at auction. Here's a link.

http://daylily.com/cgi-bin/auction.cgi

You can even make a wish list and sellers can see your list and post irises accordingly if they wish.

Roni

Concord, NH(Zone 5a)

Oh man not another addiction!!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I went to the site and had to leave. As Oscar Wilde once said, "I can resist anything but temptation".

Northern Michigan, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh my..... I shouldn't have gone there !!!!

It's only a matter of time before I cave, I'm known for being weak...lol

~Julie =0)

It's just too frightening. The thought of moving things around or else squishing more in the garden - too scary. I'm doing my best not to look but it's just a matter of time! Rain could bring on the urge very quickly! Come on sun, Come on sun!

Concord, NH(Zone 5a)

LOL I am building a new shade bed but dont need to look more yet!

I was up to my last thread here and out came the sun. Better go now: rain, thunderstorms and showers are all predictions for Saturday. May end up a day of rest!

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

You guys are too funny! However a few of the sellers there I know are excellent irisarians so if a rainy day does get you or you give into temptation, don't be afraid to buy from them.

Roni

Oh I don't think we're afraid to "buy": it's how MUCH we "buy" that becomes a problem!

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.