Sick impatien

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Can anyone help me rescue my impatien? It looks pretty naked and doesn't seem to be getting any better. it's been in this condition for a couple of weeks now. I try to keep the soil moist, but i have found it dry before when i first planted it, which was about 3 months ago. Does it have a chance of surviving, or is it already too late? Thanks ya'll.

chach_08

Thumbnail by chach_08
Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Poor baby! Do you have it inside? They LOVE water and maybe the soil is just too dry and is not absorbing enough down deep. I certainly am no expert, but if it was mine I would sink the whole pot in water for about an hour and then hang it up to drip. When you start watering it again I would use Peter's Bloom Booster and make sure that you wet the whole plant as well as the soil. They absorb water theough their leaves. If you really love the color, start cuttings in water in case the plant doesn't make it.
Pati

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the reply, pati. I've noticed that these little guys require constant watering, especially since i do keep it outside. it gets about 3 to 4 hours of direct evening sun so i don't know if that is sufficient or what. i think i will try the bloom booster that you suggested though. i have tried to keep the soil moist. i went to the home depot and invested in a little $4 moisture meter. it has helped out a lot. i guess all i can do is cross my fingers......... i'll keep you posted. thanks again

chach_08

" it gets about 3 to 4 hours of direct evening sun"

There's your problem! They hate direct sun as much as they love water! A little morning sun is O.K., but bright shade is where they love to live.
Pati

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

That helps a lot, pati. Thanks. i moved it into shade on wednesday evening so hopefully it will appreciate that. I did notice some little baby hostas popping out of the soil and they're growing healthy. i'll try to get some pics posted.

chach_08

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

whoa, sorry pati. I think i replied to the wrong thread. oops...... I did, however, buy some bloom booster and fed the sick impatien along with my other flower plants. We'll see what happens.

chach_08

Please keep me posted, I do love Impatiens! I can't plant any until at least October. The nurserys don't usually have a selection in stock until then. Did you know that they re-seed themselves? I love it when I see the babies comeup.
Pati

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

will do, pati.

chach_08

Dearborn, MI(Zone 5b)

chach, you might try cutting the longer stems back a bit. I have rejuvenated spent impatiens in the past by doing that, and they come back from the base of the stem to bloom again. However, they're not very pretty during the new growth period, so you'd have to put it somewhere where it's not on display.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

just wanted to share a new baby impatien with ya'll. i think it actually came from the impatien that's sick. it started to bloom in a pot that was sitting directly under the hanging impatien. hopefully they'll both survive. anyways, enjoy the pic......................

chach_08

Thumbnail by chach_08

Awwww, that's so sweet. Congratulations, looks like you are on your way to having a big family of impatiens. *smile* Told 'ya they would seed themselves!
Pati

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

hello again to all. hey kneff, just wanted to thank you for the advice. i trimmed back all the longer stems and essentially started with a little bushell of the original plant. less than a month later and after a little bloom booster, the impatien is slowly coming back to life and has actually started to bloom some flowers. i do appreciate the advice. take care all.

chach_08

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.