Questions about Broccoli

Brooklyn, NY

I think that my broccoli is ready to be harvested. Some of the heads are about 5 to 6 inches across and are starting to darken. I know that I need to cut off the head but the question is how do I do this? How much of the stalk do I cut off? Do I cut off any of the side leaves? How should I clean it? Soak it in cold water? For how long?

I'm full of questions but need help with the answers!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Broccoli reaches its prime, when the individual flowers buds just start to seperate. It is past when one of them shows yellow (starts to flower) It is still good but not prime. Cut the stalk just below the head. You should not get many leaves and certainly no large leaves. Wash in cold water. If you have worms, then soak in salt water (brine) for 15 -20 minutes. But really there is no excuse for worms since Bt came on the market.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

And by cutting just below the head, leaving some stalk, you may get side shoots that can be harvested later.

Brooklyn, NY

Thanks so much FarmerDill and Yuska. I'm going out now to cut my broccoli and enjoy it over the holiday weekend. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.