Voles!

Collinsville, VA(Zone 7b)

I've about had it. We've tried all the usual things over the years and nothing works. Trapping works a little, but you never get them all. I found some stuff called Vole Bloc--little pieces of sharp slate that you either mix in the soil or surround the plant with. To mix it in the soil you spread it 2" deep and till it in to a depth of 8-10 inches. That can get expensive, especially if you have lots of beds like I do. Any one have any idea if pea gravel or the like would be as effective?

Thanks,
Barbara

Eureka, CA

I have definitely had it too..... I wish I could offer some advice. I feel like I've tried everything too! (To be honest I'm not sure if it's a vole or a gopher....) I have lost many plants this spring in a new bed I put in. Nothing is worse than coming home from work, doing my ritual "garden walk", and noticing an entired plant sucked down into a hole. I've lost probably $50 worth of bedding plants in the last 6 weeks.... GRRRrrrrrr...... My last try was juicy fruit gum stuffed down into the holes. Someone said they would eat it and not be able to digest it.

Good luck with the pea gravel or slate - sounds like a tremendous job!

Sanna

Tuckerton, NJ

Well, I feel your pain! I've been battling them for a few years now. The first year I had no clue and lost a bundle. The Master Gardener's recommendation is to bait them with mouse traps and peanut butter. but as Barbara said, you can never get them all! I tried the gum and moth balls - they just pushed the stuff out the holes and continued on their merry way! Then I tried the comercial stuff (very expensive) and a buzzer thing that is supposed to drive them away (very annoying)! They didn't work and this year I planted castor bean plants all over the place. Not sure how long before they take affect. At least the plants are good looking. I have even gone so far as to bury used cat litter in the bigger holes. Of all the things I tried, believe it or not, they rarely come back to that hole. After all, they are rodents. This is the first year I haven't lost any plants, but the holes - - they keep appearing! I just joined DG so I'm interested in hearing what other people are doing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.