"Zen" bell from a propane tank in about 3 hours & approx.$25

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

I came across a thread in another forum, asking for suggestions on what to do with an old propane tank. I've had an empty propane tank at my house for about 2 years, waiting for the "readiness of time" to make it into a Zen bell. Discussions with the other DG members at the propane tank thread motivated me to get at making my bell. I was able to complete the entire project, start to finish, in one partially rainy day. Much of that time was spent in trial and error investigation of methods and several trips back and forth to the corner hardware store for the hardware I needed, as well as stopping to rehydrate and come in from the occasional rain. I think the project could be done in a matter of a few hours with all the tools and hardware ready to go, and following the instructions in the posts to follow. I spent less than $25 on the hardware that I ended up using (not counting the few bits of hardware I tried and then decided to use something different). I already had the wood for the supports as part of my "scavenged" collection of landscape timbers accumulated by grabbing them whenever I see them discarded around town.

So, below are posted the list for parts and tools needed, and step-by-step instructions with photos to illustrate the main tasks involved.

Parts & Supplies list:

Tools:
Electric or Battery Operated Drill, with about a 1/4" drill bit for metal*
Skill Saw, with a saw blade for metal*
Hack Saw, with a saw blade for metal*
Hammer
Post Hole Digger
Ladder
Carpenter's Level
*(the job will probably go easier if you start with new or slightly used drill bits and saw blades)

Hardware:
2 Eye Bolts, with about a 2" eye, approx. 4" long, approx. 1/2" thick, and threaded with a nut on each bolt
1 Washer, to fit over threaded eye bolt (I used a 1/2" x 2" washer)
2 Eye Bolts, pointed screw in type, with about a 1 1/2 " eye
6 ft (approx. length) of about 1/2" nylon rope, or other strong, weather resistant rope
4 to 6 Nails, #60 Common, 6" long, (or galvanized landscape timber nails, about 6" long)

Component Parts:
Propane Tank (completely EMPTIED of all gas!!! see note below)
Thick Metal Rod, or pipe, for bell clapper (if you want a clapper)
Landscape Timber (such as those used for garden borders) or 4" x 4" posts, pressure treated:
2 @ 8 ft, and 1@ approx 5 ft, 1@ approx 6'

Safety Equipment:
Eye Goggles, Gloves

NOTE:

Proceed with caution if the tank has been recently used to store gas or you are uncertain if it might still contain gas!!

If the tank valve is still in place, open the valve completely and leave it open for a day or two before attempting to remove the valve assembly or drill or saw on the tank.

After the tank valve has been open for at least 24 hours, carefully remove the valve assembly by unscrewing it from the hole in the top of the tank. You may want to take precautions to avoid any sparks from metal to metal contact or from static electricity. Propane is heavier than atmospheric air. Depending on atmospheric conditions, some propane may remain in the bottom of the tank even after the valve has been left open.

After you have completely removed the valve assembly, place a water hose in the opening of the tank and fill the tank to overflowing with water. For your own peace of mind that there is no gas remaining in the tank, you may want to leave the tank filled with water for a day or two, or dump the water out and refill the tank with water a few times.

The propane tank I used already had the valve assembly removed. I had filled it with water soon after getting it and left it filled with water for a couple of days. I then put it away empty with the plug hole open for more than a year before I ever got an opportunity to make a bell out of it. I was, therefore, certain there was no flammable gas left in the tank. Please proceed with caution and at your own risk when using any container that once contained flammable liquid or gas!

This thread has 17 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!