Are magnolias sold grafted? What's happening to my 'Vulcan'?

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Hi. I have 2 young specimens of magnolia 'Vulcan' from Wayside Gardens. They were planted about 2 years ago. This year I noticed that the leaves on one of the main branches are much different from the rest that are coming from lower down the trunk. Please see picture. Are magnolias often sold grafted? Am I seeing a case of rootstock taking over, or is it a cultivation issue? My other 'Vulcan' (not pictured) is completely taken over by these smaller, light green leaves.

Thumbnail by moyesii
Tyler, TX(Zone 5a)

Vulcan magnolia is one that I am not familaiar with. It really resembles a Little Gem Magnolia. Little Gems, D.D. Blanchards, Hassey, etc. are all grafted varieties.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

I couldn't get to Wayside Nursery's website tonight. They are usually very good at answering questions. I have asked a number of them and Wayside has been very prompt about answering especially when called.

Just looking at the photo, you magnolias may have more serious issues. Magnolias like well drained soil rich in humus and with a pH of 5.5 to 6.5. Your magnolia is either suffering from nitrogen dificiency or soil that isn't acidic enough. Additionally, there are black specks alongside the veins, perhaps a fungus or sooty mold. If sooty mold, there could be scale on the underside of the leaves. These problems could be causing the undersized leaves. Get your soil tested for its pH level and take leaf samples to your local university extension agent to enlist his help.

Eastexnursery, out of curiousity. What are you using to determine your plant hardiness zone? Looking at the USDA Plant Hardines map, I can't tell exactly where Tyler is, but it's somewhere in zone 7b or 8a in the eastern part of the state.

Tyler, TX(Zone 5a)

Thank you for pointing this out. Tyler is almost on the line between 7 and 8. I wasn't paying attention to the correct shade of green the night I signed up. My gosh where is zone 5? North Dakota?

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

I don't know, but during winter with weather in the teens, it's bad enough in Zone 8b.

Moyesii, found out Vulcan is grafted so you have to remove all growth below the graft.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

bettydee, Thanks very much for the advice. The leaves are rather pitiful looking aren't they. Actually, we've been having lots of rain and when I checked on it today I noticed that most of the leaves fell off. It's disappointing to hear that these specimens are grafted. If so, I'm pretty sure that one of them has been completely taken over by the understock. I'm attaching some photos.

1. Here you can see that most of the leaves have fallen off. (Compare to first photo I posted.)

Thumbnail by moyesii
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

2. Here is my other specimen of 'Vulcan'. I think this one is completely taken over by the understock, and I'll probably get rid of it. A shame :/

Thumbnail by moyesii
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

3. This is a close-up of specimen #2. Does it look like the growth is coming from below the graft? I can't tell.

Thumbnail by moyesii
La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Before taking them out, check with Wayside about what rootstock was used. You may like what was used. It's difficult to tell if the growth in speciment #2 is growing from below the graft. Usually the graft area has a small swelling. Is the growth coming from the swelling or from below. If it's not critical that you replace the trees, let them grow for a while to see what happens. Vulcan is supposed to bloom at an early age.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Wayside responded to my email. It is grafted to magnolia 'acuminata'.

http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/m/magacu/magacu1.html

Gonna get too big.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.