New Pergola - any suggestions?

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

We have just added a beautiful 10 foot Pergola onto our deck. We live in zone 6 & we are looking for something to grow up the Pergola to provide shade. After reading so many negative reviews, we have nixed the Trumpet vine. Just not able to prune as much as they need! Can the good DG folks offer any suggestions for a hardy, flowering vine that can grow up this tall structure? Is there such a plant?
Julie

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Oh yes - the Wisteria is out too. I would consider a Trumpet vine if I could assure it would not spread to other areas of the yard - does a tame Trumpet vine exist?

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

A trumpet vine is far more manageable than a wisteria I would think. But then these a both deciduous. Clematis armandii is evergreen and blooms a white in early spring and a vigorous grower but doesn't spread out underground like trumpet vine. I don't find my trumpet vine spread that bad, quite controllable. A ten foot pergola you have room for all kinds of beauties. There are some beautiful roses to consider with all kinds of clematis. Darlow's Enigma and Madame Alfred Carriere are two great roses that climb. Both are white and fragrant. Clematis montana is a deciduous clematis that is a very fast grower and it comes in a pink version. These are very pretty. Just have fun and Good Luck.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the suggestions - I am going to do some research on the ones you have mentioned, & present them to my father for his decision. RIght now & have my Passion Flowers set to be trained, but they are not hardy & must be brought indoors for the cold months. Plus some pots with Morning Glories to hang, just for this year. I am not certain they will have enough time to grow enough to provide some shade. I think we will be leaning toward a Rose...

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

On the rose forum you will see a thread where someone planted roses and clematis together as the clematis will climb quite easily on various roses. They are grouped together quite often.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I have thought of combining some plants, so we can have blossoms & foliage together. It is hard to find a plant that does both! Besides - the more diversity, the better - at least I believe so!

Springfield, OH(Zone 6b)

I have a 10 X 10 Pergola with brick pavers for floor, a octagon table and wisteria growing up the three posts. I wouldn't trade it for my trumpet plant on my trelles. When it blooms it is great and smell terrific. It takes a while to bloom but it does a great job for shade. Confine the roots when you plant it and it will bloom sooner. Also you can mix in some clematis

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I did not know that confining the roots forced blooming - thanks for the tip! I am fairly certain we are off the Trumpet Vine option...

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

One thing to keep in mind Julie is that what is invasive in one part of the country (read climate) is not necessarily invasive in another. For one is an Akebea (might be spelled Akebia) You might find that they are evergreen vines and a very good screen plant. And I understand they are very fragrant when they bloom. They also bear fruit in some parts of the counry but might not in your cold climate.

Jeanette

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I researched the Chocolate vine - a very attractive plant! It would look nice, as there are few other plants around here that resemble this one... thanks for the tips!

Pittsfield,, MA(Zone 5b)

I have a Kiwi plant that looks like a snuffleufagus(SP) like on Sesame Street. Last year we cut it way back as it was trying to pull the pergola over. We reinforced the pergola and the plant came back fuller than ever. It grows at least a foot a day. The blossoms look like popcorn and are shortlived, tho

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I will look that one up too - although my folks are leary of any plant that requires a lot of periodic pruning!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.