Thumbnail by salvia_lover
Modi'in, Israel

Modi'in, Israel

Modi'in, Israel

Modi'in, Israel

#5 on spent Petunia calix (the brownish thing at the top of the pic is about to spill over with white Petunia seeds :-).

Modi'in, Israel

Modi'in, Israel

Modi'in, Israel

Modi'in, Israel

Modi'in, Israel

Modi'in, Israel

Julie, your pictures are always awesome. What kind of camera do you use?

jnana

This message was edited Jun 13, 2006 10:11 AM

This message was edited Jun 13, 2006 10:11 AM

Modi'in, Israel

Modi'in, Israel

#13 on a hollyhock bud

Modi'in, Israel

Val, thank you very much :-). I have a Canon PowerShot G3.

-Julie

I'm thinking of replacing mine so I'm going to seriously consider the Canon. Fabulous shots you take, should consider submitting them to National Geographic. What kind of spider is #11? It gives me the heebie jeebies.

Modi'in, Israel

Val, you're far too nice. You should check out Rich's photos (Monterey). He takes fantastic macros :-).

I don't know the ID's on most of the critters above. The spider in #11 though was an itty bitty one. I caught him spinning his web industriously up and down, up and down between a Cuphea hyssopifolia plant and a box mounted on the garden wall above. He's only about the size of a pencil eraser (including his legs) :-)

-Julie

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

A great series of shots Julie. Here are my thoughts on what they all are:
1. Small white butterfly Pieris rapae
2. A fly, possibly a hover fly in the Syrphidae
3. A stink bug in the Pentatomidae
4. A bug, possibly in the Pyrrhocoridae
5. Insect eggs?
6. A honey Bee Apis melifera
7. A grasshopper, I love the stripes across its eyes
8. A cricket
9. A fly
10. A jumping spider (Salticidae)
11. An orb-weaver spider (Araneidae)
12. Spider, possibly a Nephila species in the Tertagnathidae
13. A leaf-hopper, possibly in the Cicadellidae

This message was edited Jun 30, 2005 10:27 AM

Modi'in, Israel

Ken, thank you!!!

I'm positive that the butterfly is Pieris....and you're probably right about the species. Hard (for me personally) to tell without it opening it's wings.

Those hover flies have been soooo difficult to get photos of. I've been trying for months, but they dart and zigzag too fast and too frequently. This was a lucky shot and I have NO idea how my camera managed to focus and click before it darted out of frame.

I will be watching those eggs....I'm VERY curious to find out what they might be. And hoping they'll turn out to be something good LOL

That's also interesting that you guessed #13 to possibly be in the Cicadellidae as I also thought it looked a bit like a very tiny Cicada :-)

The grasshopper is my favorite too. He landed on the grass beside me (how appropriate!) and actually let me pick him up without protest. Then he walked around on my hand for a few minutes before I put him back down. Luckily I was already shooting pics in the garden, so I was able to get some close ups.....yes, the eyes are very cool :-)

-Julie

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Julie you really have some cool looking bugs...so far away and still so similar to ours. LOL

I like the the butterfly and grasshopper too. Insects have such incredible eyes and both those pictures show them clearly! Great shots!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Super photos and great info kennedyh !

Modi'in, Israel

Remember those eggs from yesterday? Well, they hatched! :-)

Here are 4 of the teeny tiny little rascals:

Modi'in, Israel

closer up:

Modi'in, Israel

face to face:

Modi'in, Israel

and an idea of how teeny they really are:

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

Great close-ups Julie! They look like mini caterpillars, so they will eventually be a moth or butterfly, but I couldn't begin to suggest which species.

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

What a great selection of insects!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Have your little caterpillars dispersed or are they still where you can keep an eye on them?

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Exceptional micro photos, Julie .... I've been playing around with my 105mm micro lens, working on Depth of Field issues. I still have alot to learn !!!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Or, maybe collect them along with some leaves and bring inside and see what developes?

Modi'in, Israel

Ken and Galanthophile, thank you :-)

Stacey and John, I thought about bringing in the caterpillars with some leaves....too late. The next morning I went out to check on their progress and I couldn't find a single one of them. So they either morphed into something unrecognizable rather quickly, got eaten, or crawled away. I hope it's option #1 or #3 LOL. There is one person here who may be able to ID the little guys for me though....I'll let you know if I find out anything :-)

Linthicum, thank you! :-) I look forward to seeing some of your macro shots :-)

-Julie

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Yep, new hatchlings tend to disappear pretty quickly, the hunt for food begins immediately. I'll bet you find one or two of them around the yard one of these days.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Still working on the cat id are ya?

Modi'in, Israel

Stacey, I just wish I knew what they were and what they were looking to eat. There isn't any sign of them having eaten the Petunias, so I'm doubtful that's what they like......but why would the eggs have been on the Petunia if that weren't a host plant?

John, I've emailed "the source" with the pics. I'll let you know if and when he replies. :-)

-Julie

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Okey-dokey. I like your tenacious pursuit for an id!

Modi'in, Israel

Okay, I've got a probable ID on the little cats: Pachypasa otus

Here's the (very prompt!) reply I got:

Quoting:
Hello Julie,

I can't say for sure, but I believe they belong to the a moths family:Lasiocampidae. maybe Pachypasa otus...if so they should eat "brosh" (its the hebrew name, I;m at work now and don't remmember the latin name of it). they probably left the plant the ovae were laid on (by mistake, it happens with moths a lot) and went looking for their real host plant. I'm almost sure that this is the case. if I'm correct they will now wait to next years winter and only then will start eat. they will be active by night time and will hide near the tree under rocks. they will be fairly big and thick (more than a mature man's finger).
warning: the hair on these larva can cause sever alergic reaction so touching them with bare hands is not recommended. although this, if you don't touch them there is nothing to worry about (it causes nothing dangerous in anyway). I hope you will see them again next year as they will grow, they are special (they might even grow now and wait as bigger larvae later on).
best regards
oz

"brosh" is Hebrew for Cypress. I've got a little potted "Christmas tree" that I've never bothered to get an ID on. Perhaps it's a Cypress....although I thought it was a Pinus.....but I'm the first to admit I know nothing about the coniferous-type trees LOL. I've checked the little tree, but can't find any of the cats on it. There is however a spider like that in #12 above on it, so I wasn't too keen on getting my hands too deep into the tree LOL. If the little cats do show up again, I will be sure to get more pics and keep you updated on their progress.

Here's a link to Oz' "Israel Insect World" web site that shows the Pachypasa otus at the bottom of the page: http://www.nature-of-oz.com/lasiocampidae.htm

-Julie

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I've read that some will lay eggs on plants near a host plant. It discourages predation, same as the caterpillar that leaves the host plant to pupate elsewhere.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I can see a resemblance. Way to go!

Modi'in, Israel

Stacey, the weird thing is that this pot of Petunias was on the patio in the back of my house and the possible Cypress tree is in the front of the house. It was sheer dumb luck that I had more potted Petunias on the front patio and decided to move the pot with the cats to the front so they'd have more Petunias to eat......lucky for them as the potted "cypress" is just 2 feet from the Petunias on the front patio. Otherwise they'd have had to crawl a good 150 meters around the house to the tree....half of that over a hot ceramic tile patio. I don't think they'd have made it even if they had such amazing senses that they could even detect the tree from that far away....but then, I'm not a cat expert LOL.

Thanks John :-) Oz has always been really great about helping me out with IDs. And his site has been critical in all the Israeli butterfly/moth IDs I've been able to make on my own. :-)

-Julie

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL Julie, That would be a lot of feet to try to keep off hot pavers...ow ow ow hot hot hot...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.