banana melon ?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

When should I harvest these, I have no idea when their ready? anybody know.

their a new melon for me this year.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

They turn yellow and release (slip) from the vine. It is an odd ball cantaloupe, but a cantaloupe non-the less.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

so they tastes just like cantelope?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Some folks love the, others hate them. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/60239/index.html
I consider tham a novelty. They are large,and attractive, but I don't like the taste which reminds me of cucumber. After all they are the same species as Armenian cucumbers. This cultivar has been around for over a hundred years, and has not been refined like modern cantaloupes.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

oh bummer, I have tons of them LOL. I sure hope I like them.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

If you don't care from them straight up, there's a recipe in _The Joy of Pickling_ that uses underripe canteloupe.... Looks similar to a watermelon pickle type recipe to me.... I haven't tried it yet, but LMK if you need it, and I'll type it out.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks critter, I don't really think anybody here would eat it though. I'll just wait and see how they taste, I might be giving away to the local folks at our church, they love me come garden time LOL

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

Banana melons----- I never grew them myself but my grandfather did...back around 1908 in OK. I'm guessing that they were a "treat" in those days when nothing else was available. According to my mother, They were HIS favorite, but in those days, when our sweet, present-day cantalopes were not available, anything resembling a melon would be a treat.
LD

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.