Deadheading Pinks (dianthus)

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Hello everyone! This is my first post so I thoght I should say hi first.

My question is regarding pinks. To dead head or not to deadhead? If I can deadhead, where do I snip them off?

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I would think if you can deadhead any annual it will prolong bloom and just right under the bloom; so it can't form seed yet. By the way, Welcome to DG ; just jump right in. Lots to learn here and maybe you can teach us all something too. :) :) :)

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I use scissors to deadhead my pinks. I grab a handful of stems and shear below the bottom blossoms. I keep doing this until the entire plant is evenly sheared. Sometimes, depending on the weather, they will rebloom although it is never as heavy as the first flush.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Welcome little_wing to DG! Glad to have you with us.

Yes, as was written, you can use little shears or a little scissor to get in there and you can do them one by one or a group at a time. The more you have and the hotter it gets the more likely it is you'll just grab a handful.

Have fun and check out all the other forums like Coleus, hosta, roses, perennials, dahlias, bulbs, daylilies, irises. There's even an offer from Wanda just for new people for a free box of irises: just for paying postage!

Pirl/Arlene

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.