What's up with my grapes?

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

I've got a fairly young grape vine (in the ground for 2 years) that has tried twice to produce nice grapes but something happens to them before they're done. They get about the size of peas and then they dry up completely and turn brown...then shrivel into nothing. Could this be cuased by VERY dry weather and hardly no rain? They look great up to a point and then boom...ruined. They're a seedless variety that sort of tastes like concord grapes, but I don't recall the name at the moment. They're in full sun, mostly clay soil, sort of on a slope. I've even tried to water the vine to help if it's a moisture problem. No luck so far.

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

Nobody wants to take a guess even? :)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I wish I knew the answer. I had grape vines several years ago but my neighbors bad watering habits killed them. Apparently they didn't like being blasted with chlorine all night ever night. LOL

My neighbor is having the same problem as you. They were told when they bought them, they would probably see fruit in about 3 years. This is the third year and their vines are covered with bunches of grapes. About the time they hit cutting size, they start to shrivel up. I would imagine your weather is pretty darn close to mine.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Here you go John - maybe Botrytis Bunch rot?

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3025.html

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

Maybe time and better weather will help me. We'll see.

They don't look like that Dea. They simply start to dry out and then individually shrivel up like someone sucked the life out of them. It's not too terribly important that they do well, but I sure would love some fresh grapes. I guess if it doesn't work out, no big deal. I remember some concord grape vines we had when I was young. Mmmm those were good!

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

There are a number of fungal diseases that result in shriveled grapes. The problems usually start with the leaves. Does either University of Cincinnati or Ohio State University have an extension office in Cincinnati? Your best bet would be to take a representative sample of the leaves, short branch and a cluster to them. Put the samples in a large baggie to keep them fresh.

We have wild mustang grapes all over the ranch. Because we didn't have much rain late March through May, we got only a handful of grapes. So lack of water could also be a factor.

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

There is an extension office down the road from where I live. I suppose I could take them a cutting and ask them about it too.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Kind of having the same problem here,except there not shreviling up or turning brown,but they are pea size and not growing any,have lots of great looking foliage,maybe all the energy is going into making leaves instead of grapes!!!
Mine are red flame variety.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.