Stopped squash??

Washougal, WA(Zone 7b)

I have a butternut squash plant that has remained consistently 4 inches high since I planted it. It's not dead, just not growing at all. What's up with that? It should be going nuts about now like everything else. Should I just rip it out and replant?

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

When did you set it out? Plants have resting periods, and it could take off at any time. Lack of water, or intensity of heat could also affect it, as well as the moon's phases since you planted it. My winter squash and watermelon were very slow for a while. But they are beginning to grow now, and will still produce fruit in their timetable. If you start over, you will be delaying the maturity date. I would personally give it two more weeks. If the bare space is a problem, set some flowers around it :-)

Washougal, WA(Zone 7b)

It's been out for about 6 weeks. We've had cycles of nice warm weather in the high 70s, but also a good deal of rain (it IS the pacific northWET). But I think I will just watch it for a bit longer.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

We grow in the same zone with you being a bit warmer because you are south of me almost 300 miles. We have had a few 70 ish days but no where near yours and our nights have been cool only a couple in the high 50 area and two in the 60 range many have been in the high 40 with 44 for a low three weeks ago. My squash are tall full and flowering and dark green some with small squash have smal fruits set on them.. I notice a
real improvement in squash and pumpkins when I protect them from wind by growing them with a protective ring of clear plastic around them to stop the wind and increase the heat. You can make some with sticks and clear visqueen or even streach wrap from your kitchen. A good liquid type fertilizer like B-i upstart or Alaska fish fertilizer will probably kick your plants into high gear.

This message was edited Jun 29, 2005 1:27 PM

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

opps hit the wrong button I meant to post a pic for you taken three days ago of an Alantic Giant pumpkin planted about 6 weeks ago it has severa flowere and three fruit.That ring behind it is about 3 feet by three feet and was just removed when the leaves started touching the sides.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

at last here it is sorry my skills are a lot better at growing than showing lol Ernie

Thumbnail by eweed
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I used this size rings on all the smaller squash and pumpkins these are tomatoes set out early may. Cheap tomatoe cages turned up side dowm and secured with a stake will work nicly if you have some. Good luck Ernie

Thumbnail by eweed
Washougal, WA(Zone 7b)

huh. Sounds like I have a stunted squash then. Maybe I'll get one from the nursery and plant it just to be sure. I don't think I can go a whole year without fresh butternuts!

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Hey Ernie,

What kind of plastic is that? And where'd you get it from?

~* Robin

This message was edited Jun 29, 2005 4:49 PM

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

If you planted a squash that had been raised in a container, stunting is a real possibility. Transplanting them is very tricky. If you leave them in a planting cup very long after emergence, they will stunt and seldom recover.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Nature walker The plastic is a thin corragated polyethylene type with two smooth sides about an eighth of an inch thick. I work in a shipyard and got this from spools of electrical wire as a protective packing material to protect the wire in shipping. I have only seen this on wire that comes from Australia. Visqueen is as good but this is more rigid and is just eaiser to use. I have this type plastic at big box hardware stores and seen cheap green houses made of it.

Anymh you have not mulched your plant with grass clippings or compost that contain weed killer have you? sometimes using mulch that contains this will cause what you describe. I agree with farmer, quick replace the plant if you can it is getting late . I would just for giggles leave the stunted one and give it the fertalizer
and deep watering treatment just to see if it will grow . Ernie

Maybe some cut up gallon milk jugs would work? Like a cloche idea? They'd be a lot cheaper and easier to come by.

Huh Ernie?

~* Robin

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

To be sure they would work but only for a very short time as the thing has to be removed when the leaf touches the sides and they are pretty short you may be able to get them off to a running start though.

Tomatoes from this spring went in these while I got the cover ready to put on they don't like cool wind either and jamming the plastic down into the dirt allows water to be held in the root zone while it soaks in.

Do you have access to used bubble wrap it would work super as well. Ernie

Thumbnail by eweed

No Ernie ; I don't have access to used bubble wrap. But your thoughts are sending weird vibes this way.

Such as using some of the old metal tomato cages upside down with bubble wrap or clear kitchen plastic wrapped around them; with garden fabric pins to hold the cages down with.

Or some of those huge, clear plastic storage bins turned upside down, with some holes drilled on the sides & garden fabric pins to hold them down with also.

I must be mad or insane about my veggies! "Insane in the Membrane!"

Thanks for stirring the 'Membrane', Ernie!

~* Robin☺

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Robin yw how about a clearish plastic pail like 5 gallon size with the bottom cut out even if it is colored it will work I used a few black rings of the same type material and they worked as well because they are short enough to let the sun and light in. Go for it you will come up with something you know necessity is the mother lol.

Anymh I do hope you try to get the runt to go and tell us this spring I started a sweet dumpling for a friend that didnt grow untill I trans planted it into different potting soil and fed it well. Ernie

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Ernie,

What is a "sweet dumpling"?

Judy

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Thanks, I was so tired I didn't even think of doing a search but I've had my 10 minute nap so the old brain is perking up.

I got up at 4:30 AM to get my outside chores done before it got too hot!! Worked like a dog, checked DG and crashed.

Thanks again.

Judy

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Glad you got your nap, Judy LOL!

Interesting, that sweet dumpling is a winter squash that is a pepo...

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

More interesting is it is so good and is a perfect plant to put a couple in an old wheel barrow for a container... Ernie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.