A Sad Day...

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Here at our garden; All 70+ soybean/edamame plants were munched. Only sticks now :-( At first I thought it was a groundhog but now I think it was caterpillars.

Do I have time to start some more?

Always hopeful!
-Kim

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh no! That's tragic....70+ ....something must have been REALLY hungry. I would just be gutted if that happened to all my tomatoes...

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

OMG, if it was my tomatoes I don't even think I could post. Since we thought it was a groundhog we put the fence back up yesterday but by tonight the other half were gone. I checked yesterday but there were no critters.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't normally visit this forum, but I just dropped in and saw this. Sorry about your loss! That's A LOT! I was just thinking tho, caterpillars don't eat really fast, so you'd think you'd see them if they ate that much in half a day. Now I'm intrigued, so I'll keep watching to see what you find.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

That is the discussion here at my house. We don't usually plant down near the fence line. We have seen groundhogs but no bunnies. I thought grounghogs would pull up the whole plant that is why I was thinking caterpillars. Either way, I hope some critter has gas from all those greens!

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Is the entire stalk eaten, or just leaves? I was just doing a little Googling because I read something about insects and soybeans this week, but can not remember what it was. Anyways I read that the soybean looper caterpillar will "defoliate" the plant. That leaves the stem, so...

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

So.. there you have it, just a bunch of stems all in rows :( I will look him up. The culprit did not touch the watermelon, cantelope or spaghetti squash all in the same bed.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Sounds like he's pretty particular to soybeans, and a pretty good eater! :( I didn't see any pics, but maybe he's green and you just can't see him.

I wish I could remember what I read....maybe something on the butterfly forum lead me to this. It's one of those things that really drives you nuts until you think of it! lol

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

OH no!!!!!!!! Did you come home to the destuction???? That is terrible.

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

I'd offer you some seeds Kim, but they do take 90 days to maturity.

Wanna try?

~* Robin☺

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Yes, Heather. Sunday half were gone and then the other half.

Thank you Robin but I do have more seeds. We are going to plant a few in the main garden and see what happens.

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Ok!

~* Robin☺

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.