Need suggestions for shrub or tree barrier

Mira Loma, CA

I recently had a 6 foot block wall built between my new neighbor and myself to help block noise and dirt from their atv/motorcycle activity. The wall certainly helps, but the noise is still driving me out of my mind and the dust rises at least 20-30 feet, making the wall only my first defense. I've got to layer some greenery, and I've decided to plant some evergreen trees in my yard closer to my house as a buffer, but still need to plant something tall, dense, and evergreen right up against the wall also (a 90' span). The area will receive full sun all day, soil is clay, and is in between the wall and parking area, so I don't want anything that will suffer if I keep it pruned to approx. 3-4 feet front to back. It's also important that there are no invasive roots, which is a challenge because we live in a high-wind area, so anything over 20' tall is likely to blow over or away. I am located in the Riverside area of Southern California. Thank you for your help!

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

First, plantings do little to block noise, despite claims to the contrary. Second, by the time your plantings reach an effective size, the sweet little noisemakers will be grown up and moved away or in prison. Or maybe they'll be dead, if you're a good shot . . .

Guy S.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL....sounds like the best solution

Mira Loma, CA

HaHaHa! I am certainly willing to pay dearly for more mature plants after spending $$$...$$$...$$$ on the wall! It's either that or consider moving away, and I love my home of only 4 years. My husband made my dream of horses in my backyard a reality, we're on a half an acre of land that I've been turning into my private paradise/jungle and (stomps foot!) I'm not leaving! Local P.D. has come out many times for neighborhood complaints, but because of local code, they can only "request" that the offenders be considerate of their neighbors. Any ideas?

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

work to change the local code! worked here the guy next door madea mess fixing cars in the street got the laws edited to not take this (took some work and a vote but guess what guys like him never vote so...) and then call the cops out. Other then that Bamboo with a good barrier would get the fastest results but still would not be perfect...

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I would try Leyland Cypress...even though they are terrible trees they would give you the height and at least make you feel enclosed by greenery and maybe muffle some of the sound. (Or get a pit bull)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.