Nothing, nadda, not a one

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

Not one of my gourd seeds came up, even the one squash plant I bought, and doing louzy... very unhappy about that.

Viv

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

HI Viv, Welcome to DG.

Next time take seeds (gourd, pumpkin, squash) and get a finger-nail sized clipper and snip a small part of the pointed tip off. Soak them overnight in a jar (with a lid) filled with the hottest sink water you have. Strain them with a strainer/ Plant them out the next day.

HTH

~* Robin☺

This message was edited Jun 27, 2005 10:01 PM

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

I had one - count it one - plant (bird gourd) come out of 36 seeds. The plants doing well - just not producing gourds...Can't find evidence of any kind of borers or other bugs. Have dusted with Sevin and am watering daily....still - flowers drop off - no gourds......but the plants growing like crazy!

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Do you have bees? If the flowers don't get pollinated, they won't grow gourds. Given the shortage of honey bees due to blight, you have to encourage other bees to your garden to pollinate the plants.

Barb

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

I have bees, bumble and mason, and honey. Just no seed growth... oh well, next season.

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Sorry, Vizz! That was for BetsyBug... Did you get that sorry seed from me? I'd offer plants, as I have successfully shipped to NatureWalker but she got the last of them.

Barb

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

Thats, ok Barb, no I didnt get any seeds from you. I bought them at the local hardware store. I was quite surprised that none germinated. Thanks for the offer of the plants, but I'm thinking we will not get the heat that it would take to mature this season. Its so wet, and chilly.
Viv

Crossville, TN

Vizz....please don't buy more seeds...some of us have seeds we would be happy to share with you...at least, I will share...let me know what kind you want and if I have them I will send you some for next year. Jo

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Here! Here! Gourd seeds are sitting here waiting for the taking!

Barb (Hmmm... gourd and pumpkin seed RR, anyone?)

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

I wanted to grow some birdhouse gourds, and some of the small table gourds.

Viv

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

I can send you some. Are you in the exchange?

Barb

Crossville, TN

Barb is fast ...and a nice personn to share so quickly...I don't have the small table gourds, but do have some Bird House...although I think the Bird House are really Bottle gourds...just a new thought as I never see a Bird House Gourd listed on the gourd charts...anyone know for sure? Jo

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

BassetMom,
You sent me loffa gourd seeds. They are breaking ground now.
I am so excited. Grand daughter has never seen them on the vines. She is in for a big surprise. THANK YOU so much.
Kathy

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

I'm sorry Barb, I thought that I answered you last post, thank you so much for the offer. But I've already replaced the seed. Darn, I will know better next season, and the package of seed I bought says Birdhouse Gourd.
To answer your question, I am not in the exchange, I've looked for it, but cant find anything about it.. could you explain? TIA.

Viv

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

You know, I can't remember how to do it... now I have to check it out again...

As for the gourd name, I believe bottle and birdhouse are interchangeable. Always have been to me.

iamakylady... glad to hear they are doing so well!

I am thinking we seriously need a gourd seed exchange or RR, folks!

Barb

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Go to home page and click the tab marked "Extras". You'll see the Address Exchange listed. Click on that and it will ask if you want to add your name.

I should have remembered that's how you do it but well....

Barb

Crossville, TN

I'll participitate in a Gourd Seed RR. Jo

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

Ok I found what you were talking about, I'm now in the exchange.. for furture ..

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

I'm about to send off a herb RR and I have the SG swap going. When that is all near completion, maybe I'll start one for gourds... Unless you want to do it, Jo?

Barb

Crossville, TN

Barb...you know that I am gone too much...LOL Got roads to run. Jo

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Okay, Jo. I'll try to start one when the others are almost done...

Barb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.