climbing hydrangea

Albrightsville, PA(Zone 4a)

How much sun does it need. I'd like to put one in the moon garden, but it will only get dappled sunlight and shade most of the day.
Pam

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

That's about ideal conditions Pam.

We had two new ones that are both in south facing but dappled shade conditions due to a huge oak tree south of us.
They get maybe 1 hour of morning sun.
They are doing great.

Our neighbor's older one is growing up a tree and has decided it likes the East side.
It's 3 years in the ground and about 7' tall now.

Here's a good link on them.

http://www.pottedliners.com/article_1.htm

Ric

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Now that you mention Climbing Hydrangias....I planted a new one this year in part shade. It has only grown about 6 inches! I'm a little bummed. Is it a water lover? The spot is slightly on the dry side...but not overly so. For sure it is not real wet. Or is slow growing normal for this plant. It otherwise looks pretty happy. I'm used to my other types of vines trying to take over the place and growing with wild abandon! Any advice?

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I bought mine (pink and white climbing hydr.) from Digging Dog Nursery in CA. not cheap. First batch died, they sent replacements which died also. I guess climbing hyd. does not like houston. supposed to be in shade and apparently likes cooler climates. such a beautiful plant.

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Hmmm. Maybe it is a little too hot for it here. That might be the problem.

Thanks for the input. The fellow I bought this from said it was a little slow growing at first. Maybe you have the same one, Thripmaster? I'm excited about planting a moon garden and finding all shade plants is a challenge.
Pam

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Hey, all.
I got a climbing hydrangea last summer.
It has grown like a weed. I put it in very good soil and some compost. It does seem to like its water.
It is in full sun unfortuantely tho. It gets a little shade with the dahlia plants in front of it later in the season.
Mine hasn't bloomed yet, so hope it will maybe next year?
This is just what my plant is doing. I do know that it isn't a real lover of the sun.
Carol

The one I bought has buds on it. I think it will be white. The name on the tag is Barbara Ann. The soil is good in it's spot, 6 inches of new top soil with mushroom soil mix and lots of humus and peat/soil underneath. The area stays moist too.

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

OK. You guys are great! Thanks for the excellent input. I think I know the problem. The soil is a little poor and a little dry. Needs more compost and a little more water. I can do that! The poor little guy is so tiny that I can easily dig him up with a spade without disturbing the roots. Then I can make a nice little horse turd mix in the hole. Then put him back in and make sure I run the irrigation a little more often. I'm sure the rest of my shade garden will appreciate it also! I'm feeling a little more encourage about the little fellow, and vossner is right...they aren't cheap! Thanks guys!

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Make sure to use well-rotted horse turds, fresh will burn.

Pikeville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thripmaster, I don't think its too hot for climbing H. there. I grow it in east Tenn. Mine is a very slow grower. This is it's third year on the north side of my barn. It has bloomed the last 2 years , increased it's bulk somewhat, and just attached about 6 inches to the side of my barn , finally. I hope yours does well, don't get discouraged it is very slow in the beginning. I have read that after 4 or 5 years it starts to grow much faster, but I have no personal experience. Chuck

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Ok. I'm not giving up on it. I went out this afternoon and improved his conditions considerably. I dug a HUGE hole and put in a real nice Composted turd/soil mix. The irrigation is running as we speak. I think it is such a beautiful plant. I have it on the edge of my shade garden and want it to vine on an old wood fence. You guys are a weath of knowledge and encouragement. I think I really didn't realize how much this guy needed some special attention. I was treating it like any other vining plant that I grow...which is sort of "watch out its taking over". It is actually kind of nice to have a well mannered vine. Chuck...If you can grow it in TN...I can grow it in NC!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

It is a very slow grower until established.
The first years it's basically setting up a root system.
Ours MAYBE grew a foot the first year.

It is definitely not an instant fix.

Slow to flower also.
Don't get discouraged w/ it.
The bloom is worth the wait.

Ric

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Mine took 2 years to put on much growth. You know, 1st they sleep, then they creep, 3rd year leap? 3rd year it got HUGE. This is my 4th year and I actually have blooms! It is definitely worth it. I also found that it likes good compost (it is planted next to my compost pile), and it will grow toward the sun if it is in deep shade, but then will send up other tendrils eventually going the direction you want it to.

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Vossner, I too have tried to grow the climbing hydrangeas but to no avail. I think it is the high humidity. I have sworn off of them. I'm glad they grow well for some. Jenny

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, considering that mine is not dead...just sort of sitting there, I think I will leave mine. I would just LOVE it if it decided that next year was the grow year! So far, I think it is still the rest year. Everyone that has actually had them grow say that they are absolutely beautiful.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have 3 ( 2 Petioaris and 1 Schizophragma) and the 2 Petiolaris rarely bloom well in my shade and the Schizophragma bloomed well this yeat but it was the first good bloom since I planted it almost 8-10 years ago. It is growing up a tree and probably 40 feet tall. The others I do cut back because they are on the house and not allowed to grow out of control. I have seen them in full sun on a wall around a pool and they are gorgeous in bloom. I believe they need more sun to bloom no matter what.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.