Any one grow honesukles?

White lk, MI(Zone 5a)

I have a 2 year old honeysukle and it hasn't bloomed yet. It is a dropmore scarlett and tag said blooms in June. Any one know how old these have to be before they get going. By the way it is about 4ft tall.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i have the white and yellow kind and its blooming now and smells wonderful!!!

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

I think some varieties of Honeysuckle need 2 plants to cross pollinate in order to make flowers?
Is that right???

This message was edited Jun 28, 2005 11:53 PM

Mount Pleasant, MI(Zone 5b)

Cottage, plants don't need to pollinate in order to flower. Flowering is the act that ensures pollination. You might, however, need two plants in order for pollination; i.e. One pear tree flowers, but doesnt make pears. Two pear trees "cross pollinate" and make pears.

I can think of a more vulgar analogy with humans, but I think I will save it.

Nick

Mt. Pleasant, MI(Zone 5a)

Sandy, I planted 4 hunysuckle in my gardens in Sept. 2000. They were just twigs then. The following spring -spring 2004 there were clusters of greenery on them. In the spring of 2001 a woman who claimed to be a master gardener said that the clusters were a disease called WITCHES BROOM. I took a sample to the extension office and they agreed hesitantly. I was told to destroy the plants as it cold infect all the other plants and there was no cure for them. Instead, i cut the clusters off and called it good. I now wonder if there really was a disease. This was the 4th full year I have had them and this is also the FIRST year they bloomed. They are now about 10-12 feet tall and BEAUTIFUL. I advise you to water them a lot. Feed them some bone meal occasionally or use what ever you use to fertilize (faithfully). They'll surprise you one spring soon. So keep the faith!!

Thumbnail by Jacklynn
White lk, MI(Zone 5a)

jacklynn,
What a lovely place you have there! Was the witches broom stuff at the tips of the branches? Mine are looking all twisted at the tips.

Mount Pleasant, MI(Zone 5b)

Jacklynn, that is a great garden! I like how you used the evergreens with the Spirea... Any chance of getting a tour in person?

Nick

Auburn Hills, MI(Zone 6a)

I know the one of the 2 I have get bugs every spring, they eat and lay eggs and there gone,, then it dont bloom,, I have sprayed and sprayed and sprayed,, so its going to go the swamp for anew home,, (lower end by the river) that all my plants go if they are causing problems,, but watch when I move it it will never get bugs !! but on the flowering,, mine took about 2 years to get full blooms on them,,I love mine,, I want the tri colored ones

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.