What would you pair with Summer Wine Ninebark?

Pittsburgh, PA

I have three of them in my front bed and I'm looking for something to put in front of them. Near one of the Ninebarks I have a Blue Mist Spirea which I think will look great with the lime-green foliage and the blue flowers. Here's a link to a picture of the Summer Wine Ninebark http://www.djroger.com/summer_wine_ninebark.htm

Right now (as you can see in this picture http://www.flickr.com/photos/58009277@N00/20899024/in/set-488332/) I've got some Black-Eyed Susans but they're not looking too happy so I was thinking of moving them.

I'm in Zone 6 and this bed faces West and is a part sun/part shade bed.

Pittsburgh, PA

Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller?

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi I have a ninebark and I put a Hot Cocoa rose next to it and I think they look really great together.

Pittsburgh, PA

Oh thank you Lenjo. I'll have to look that up. I have, to date, stayed away from roses. They seem like something for the advanced gardener! Ha! And that is something I am most definitely not. I was looking at a Leucothoe fontanesiana 'Rainbow' tonight and that maybe something to try as well...

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Roses are not difficult. You will love em if you give em try. Good Luck all the same.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Heuchera 'Lime Ricky' and Agapanthus 'Rancho White' or Rosa 'Popcorn' and Liriope 'Silvery Sunproof'. I love contrast!

K

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Goldmound or Goldflame Spiraea would give you the gold color as well as some more blooms once the ninebark is finished. The red tips on the new growth would echo the ninebark color. It's also easy to control the size and the mounding habit would look nice with the structure of the ninebark.
You could also add Gold mops chamecyparis for year-round color or some other true dwarf gold conifers.
If you're willing to try the roses and want something quite low, Flower Carpet roses in a variety of color choices are available and supposed to be easy to care for and prolific as to flowering. (I haven't any experience with them myself, though.)
You could also try Phlomis fruticosa for lovely foliage and flower contrasts as well.

This message was edited Jun 29, 2005 12:20 PM

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I would do something with gold or silver foliage to make them really pop out.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Also, Sedum 'Frosty Morn' has almost true white that would be a nice contrast.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have Wine and roses Weigelia which I love and I guess it is pretty much like your Midnight. I love yellow with purples and I would try to have one ground cover of the same color all over to give some continuity. Too many different colors going on will confuse the eye.

Sandy Hook, CT(Zone 6a)

I'm trying out some lemon wave hydrangea next to mine. They are both babies so time will tell...

Artemisia would work, as would some other silvery foliage sun loving plants such as agastache. A number of yellow, chartreuse or gold foliage plants would do very well. I have a bright yellow barberry paired with dark red / purple foliage plants. Another great candidate is spirea 'ogon'. I have it and love it. It's a true three season winner. Check out the pics of it in Plantfiles.

Victor

Pittsburgh, PA

Oh my gosh...so many fabulous replies. I'm off to scour plant files to see what I can see...thanks everyone.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I was thinking red or pink roses myself!

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I have a beautiful Mock Orange called "Innocence" that is variegated with yellow splashes all over. It looks delicate but seems to be tough as nails.. Plus it gets lovely fragrant white flowers all over it. The pictures don't do it justice.

http://www.esveld.nl/plantdias/51/51540.jpg

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

JG- You should check out this thread- it is really good for pairing different colors in the garden.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/522565/

I've got a variegated elderberry called 'Madonna' that would be stunning next to your ninebark and the spirea. I'll get photos today and post them later.

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

What else would I put with it but HOSTA! This is Party Favor!

sue

Thumbnail by ruby42
Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I think Ninebark goes with everything! I have mine in a blue foliage garden. There are so many colors in the leaves it can be stunning in any combination.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

I have blackeyed susans, purple coneflower, and hosta in front of those, the blackeyed, and coneflowers aren't yet blooming, will snap a better photo for you later

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy

This will give you an idea - here is the Spirea 'Ogon' with Wine and Roses Weigela, not too far in color and form from Summer Wine. Wish the photo was clearer but the combo of color, form and texture is very nice.

Thumbnail by victorgardener

Meant to post this earlier, sorry. Here's that Sambucus 'Madonna' that I'm so crazy about. I've got it next to a Sambucux 'Nigra' that has those dark wine colored leaves and it's stunning! The flowers on this are white.

Thumbnail by
Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Pixydish- Sambucus "Madonna" is sooo pretty!

How about this:

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/60840/

VERY Nice! There's also a spirea that has lime green foliage and pink flowers that would look lovely. Mine's labeled 'Monbub', but I can't believe that's right. The pink would pick up the wine color in the leaves of the sambucus, and then the lime green leaves set the whole thing off. Might look great with your other spirea.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

The Goldmound or Goldflame spiraea I mentioned above could be the one you're speaking of, Pixydish. Even the new growth is a light burgundy/pinkish tone on these.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.