Dierama 'Angels Fishing Rod' / 'Fairy Wand'

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

After struggeling for two years with sad sick seedlings, I have finally gotten one to settle in and grow....and bloom! :-)
Here is a nice couple links with cool info and pix.
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1082/is_n5_v42/ai_21151804

http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Dierama

Here too is a collage of my first blooms

Marc

Thumbnail by RikerBear
in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Marc,
Very pretty plant. Thanks for sharing.
Patti

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Patti, glad you liked the pic. :-)

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I see a glimpse of really lovely garden, rikerbear.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Lenjo, the garden is coming along :-)

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

marc, very interesting article about Dierama--sounds pretty exotic and hard to grow. Where did you find the seeds/seedlings?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

A co-worker grows it and gave me some seed. The seed germinated very quickly, but the seedlings struggled. Once I finally decided to just plant them out and hope for the best they took off and as you can see are now growing and blooming.
It might be hard to grow in your zone, but here it over winters just fine ( at least the co-workers do, I'll see how mine does this Winter)
If I get seed would you like some?

Marc

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks for offering, marc, but 'no thanks'. I'm not a good enough 'seed starter' yet to try something like Dierama.

I just wondered if maybe you traded for it, found it in Europe, bought it or got it from the Pacific Bulb Society.... t.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I did see this plant on a garden tour here a couple of years ago. It is really pretty and unusual.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I just love it....as do my hummers :-)

crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Beautiful plant Marc. Extraordinary blooms!!!

Tina

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I really like the way the blooms 'bounce' in the wind....poor hummers have a moving target. :-)

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

beautiful , if get few extra seeds i would love to try it what looking for a trade?? thanks. Twyla

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Remind me in a couple weeks and I'll see how many seeds I have been able to collect. I will gladly share some with you.

Marc

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks hope i can remember to.. be neat.. let me know looking for or postage?

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Very pretty. I planted some last year and none came up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.