Would Bears Eat Gourds?

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

I really don't know this. There's been this bear we've been seeing around this past week; about 9 to 9:30 PM. Real brazen too; hangs out near our neighbors truck; and our stationwagon behind the house. We've seen our neighbors' dog go after him/her through our rear windows. Quite a scene; since he's only an 8 month old pup & stands only 22 inches high at his head. This is not a cub it's big & scarey.

~* Robin☺

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Robin, you are a true gardener. Worry first about your plants when faced with a bear!

I don't know about bears, but my dogs eat them! Fresh off the vine, dried, painted and decoated... They eat them all if they can get at them!

Barb

Crossville, TN

Javalina's love them....but you don't have to worrry about them in your area...LOL Jo

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

I was so bummed out when I found them all eaten down to the ground at first frost. It wasn't the bear.... it was the deer! They went on a winter gorging feast on what was left out there in one nights time. Tiny Bottles, Luffas out the back, tomato plants with some fruits still on, pac choy, spinach, cabbage & other things......

Gonna try harder this year to contain things behind fencing!!

~* Robin

Crossville, TN

Robin...I hate to hear this...Some one just told me that you could buy "coyote pee" at the garden center...and it would deter deer and other animals...never tried it. Jo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.