Alaskan Nasturtium

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

This is all from one plant. I had no idea it would get so huge! As far as sun goes, it only gets full sun until 2pm. The flowers are so bright and very tasty too.

Thumbnail by emilyrasmus
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Wow! How impressive! Do you have the name for the variety? Did you grow it from seed? That's the kind of orange I love.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Yes, this type of nasturtium is Nasturtium 'Alaska Mixed' (Tropaeolum majus) http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/51753

I didn't grow this one from seed, but I've grown others from seed and they're very easy. Took about 2 weeks to germinate. The soil this one is growing in is much lighter and was amended with compost. I have others growing in soil that has a high clay content and they don't seem to be doing as well, although they are blooming.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Great picture, Emily! I love the variegated leaf on this variety. It makes the plant interesting long before the blooms appear.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Thank you :) Are there any other varieties of nasturtiums with variegated leaves?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

There is also 'Out of Africa' which has the same sort of variegation, but a different growing habit... it trails more, I think. I've also grown 'Alaska Salmon' which is the one color of salmon pink from the Alaska mix.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Emily, do you ever have trouble with black aphids in your nasturiums?

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

No, I've had no trouble with aphids of any kinds so far. I keep checking as I hear Nasturtiums are aphid magnets. Have you had trouble with them?

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

It is always a little later in the season before they are attacked. The few nasturiums I have are still very small.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

My other nasturtiums are pretty small so I have no idea why this one going nuts. It receives less sun and water than the others. The soil for the smaller ones is denser, but I didnt' think nasturtiums were that picky about soil. Any ideas?

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I wouldn't have a clue but I bet Weezingreens might have an idea.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Everything from Alaska grows faster and bigger. That's why my DG tee shirt is 3XL!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

LOL, Carol, you are so funny. Is that just a diversionary tactic to not answer Emily's question that I didn't have the answer for. LOL HOw have you been? Are you wetter than usual like the Pacific NW this spring?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Hi, Lenjo! No, it's been a bit dry here, actually. Yes, it probably is a diversionary tactic, but none the less, true! LOL! Actually, I've been told that nasturtiums thrive on poor soil and weather conditions, ... that is more blooms, less foliage. I think any plant will throw more blooms when stressed, but it shortens their little lives, as well. High nitrogen is likely to make for lusher foliage, I imagine.

The Alaskas are more of a 'bush type', as I recall, so maybe they appear 'fuller'. I've noticed that certain varieties of the same plant type will bloom earlier than others. For instance, all the white violas in my Princess Mix bloomed first. I have no idea why.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.