Do you grow Larkspur?

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I was at a couple of homes last week for a garden tour and I absolutly loved a line of Larkspur that I saw at one home, I would like to get some seeds and plant Larkspur along my front fenceline, It's just starting to get really warm in Iowa (85 - 95) .... Do you think I would be able to grow some this late in the season? Thanks, Jill

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Jill,

I don't know if it's too late for your area. But if you want some seeds; send an SASBE out to me, I'm in the address exchange.

~* Robin☺

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Wow, thanks Robin! , I'll do that , by the way........I know SASE, but what is SASBE?
The home owner was'nt all that thrilled with the Larkspur but I thought it was lovely and it would be a great way to 'pretty' up the chain link fence.

Self
Addressed
Stamped
Bubble
Envelope

Anyway, I have a bubble envelope that's empty now. So just send me 49 cents postage in a regular envelope; ok.

~* Robin☺

I forgot to send you this link:

Rocket Larkspur (Consolida ambigua)
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1385/index.html

You can read up on them there at the bottom of the page.

You should also read this; it can help:

Annual Flowers for Special Uses - Adapted
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/506961/

~* Robin☺

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Will do Robin! Thank you so much, how could any one not like these flower's? Thanks for the informative link too, I'm invisioning larkspur at the back link fence too! :)

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I like the wild flower effect it has!

Thumbnail by pirl
Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Beautiful picture Pirl! Very 'cottage' like

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

I started my larkspur months ago when it wa cool and they're just now blooming the last few days. Our climates are similar so I think maybe it might be too hot now. Here we are almost a foot behind in rainfall this year and even though I water regularly my larkspur are a little brown on the bottom. I was afraid I was going to loose them a few weeks ago, they were so wilted looking but they are lovely now.

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I'll either wait till spring or I'll winter sow, thanks Little wing and Pirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.