CLOSED: Caterpillar ID please?

(Zone 8b)

This chap is destroying my brug, he is pretty large, about 3ins long I think. Does anyone know what he is?? Should I squish him or let him eat?

Thumbnail by okus
Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Well....I don't know for sure, but more than likely it's going to be a moth. I don't know of any butterfly cats that eat Brugs, and this looks pretty large. It's kind of hard to tell what it looks like from the top. Does it have a horn or any type of point on one end?

(Zone 8b)

No horns or points, viewed from the back end he has two false 'eyes' - black dots -
If I knew what else he liked to eat I would just move him and save the brug.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Anyone know of good caterpillar id book? It takes me forever to go through 'bug guides' cat pictures!!

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Looks like an armyworm, possibly from Pseudaletia unipuncta Moth.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

John, do a search for Caterpillars thru Binoculars, or something like that. There are butterfly books and I heard a while back that they were making a cat one. Peterson Field Guides have one too I think.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

That looks like it is the right one. It's not cheap tho, is it? You might check the used book stores and online used stores too.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Yep, that surprised me! Sherman finally has a (new) book store with lotsa good stuff. I will want to get my hands on it and check it out before I buy at that price. Might be hard to find a used one but, will try.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.