low carb dieting

Woonsocket, RI(Zone 6b)

Since 2003 I "Slowly"(which guarantees it will stay off) lost 40 lbs on a low carb (not no carb) diet. There are good carbs and bad carbs. I stayed away from white bread, starches, and refined sugars which are bad carbs. I ate "Whole" grain breads such as whole wheat, rye, pumpernickle which are good carbs. I stayed away from white bread which is made with bleached wheat flour and breads that claim to be wheat not whole wheat which is realy caramelized white bread. I stayed away from potatoes completely and ate brown rice or wild rice instead of white rice. After you get the bad carbs out of you system the cravings deminish and the energy returns. We need some fat a day but I stayed away from polyunsaterated fat, monounsaterated fat and trans fats, and ate saturated fat. Fat, carbohydraes and protein ( try to get 100
percent through low carb protein shakes which has saturated fat and eat other high protein foods eat other foods other foods) are all energy nutrients, but fat offers a more concentrated source of energy (calories)
1 gram of fat=9 calories
1 gram of protein=4 calories
1 gram of carbohydrated=4 calories

How many calories your body requires is determined by a number of factors, including your size, weight and level of physical activity. It's recommended that no more than 30% of your daily energy intake come from fat, and no more than 10% of that should be saturated fat. As I said in my previous post, this is total daily intake and not individual foods. So, it's ok to indulge as long as you eat foods lower in fat for an average of 30%.

First, multiply the number of grams of fat in a food by 9 to get the number of fat calories.

fat(grams)x9=fat calories

Next, divide that number by the total number of calories in the food. Now multiply the result by 100.

[b](fat calories divided by total calories)x100=%calories from fat.

For example 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese have 113 calories and 9.3 grams of fat.

9.3 grams x 9 calories/gram = 83.7 fat calories.

(83.7 fath calories divided by 113 calories) x 100 = 74% calories from fat.

This is complicated for some people, so if you want to just find out how many fat grams your daily allowance is, just do the following.

Multiply your total recommended calorie intake by 30% (or 0.3), then divide by 9. For example, if your total recommended caloric intake is 1500 calories a day, your total recommended daily intake for fat grams is 56.

1500 x 0.30=500 fat calories.
500 divided by 9 calories/gram = 56 grams of fat/day

Don't buy into products that advertise they are low-carb, not they are not but they are expensive. If you read your labels and try to get total carbohydrates under 20 grams, stay away from refined sugars and use Splenda for a sweetener which you can bake with too you should see the pounds drop.
Good Luck.

This thread has 20 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!