mildew on hydrangea

Mandeville, LA

What is a safe way to rid my hydrangea of mildew? The shrubs are right near the dogs' kennal and I want to use something safe.
Thanks!
Kathryn White

Mandeville, LA

Mildew on hydrangea. Anybody?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

How about a simple baking soda spray - 1 Tbs. to a gallon of water. I have not used this for mildew but have used it for other fungal type problems.
Have you looked into why you have the mildew and are you sure it is mildew? A scale or aphid infestation often causes "honeydew" on the leaves which can be dark and moldy looking.
I found this on one of my hydrangeas and discovered it was a scale under the leaves causing the black stuff; the excrement from the insects is sticky and it gets moldy. I have been spraying with Sun Spray horticulutral oil which would be perfectly safe around the dogs as it is pretty much just vegetable oil. If there is still black stuff on the leaves after a few sprays a mild (1 tsp/gal) spray of dishwashing liquid can help.

Mandeville, LA

The mildew is a white powdery mildew and I believe that it is due to poor air circulation. I think I am going to bring the dogs in and just spray with "Fertilome Triple Action Plus" (just in case the bugs have moved in as well - which they are bound to do any day now!) I have never heard of any plant which can't handle it...it 's active ingredient is Extract of Neem Oil. The plants are in the shade so I am not concerned with the sun burning the leaves.
But, you know what? I think I'll try the baking soda spray first. Good idea! Thanks for replying!
Kathryn

Calistoga, CA

The Sunspray horticultural oil will do the job with no danger to anything. A quote I think is appropriate is " No fungicide is as effective as a dry leaf". Al

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.