A wonderful suprise!(a native lily)

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

A good friend of mine (also a plant fiend) is building a home and found a colony of Canada Lilies (we think) on his new property at the edge of the woods. Some were being trampled by builders, so he dug them and gave me 2! This was in May and they are now 4' tall and budding. I'm really excited about a lily native to my area; I've always kept my eyes open for them, but have never found any growing wild. If any of you have any advice on culture or pics of yours it would be welcomed. I'll post pics as mine developes. Thanks! Neal

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Looking forward to it!

crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Well I think I might have found a native one here to but can't ID the thing cause I can't get the pic to download to this site!!! Uggghhh

Tina

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

tmbolin, hope you can get that downloaded; I'd love to compare. The buds on mine have turned downward and are elongating, so it should'nt be long now. I think there are 2 species that are found in KY and TN. If yours and mine are different perhaps we can swap seeds(assuming nothing nips the flowers off!). I'll post pics when they open. Neal.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Waiting for pix.
Inanda

crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Inanda, I posted pics on the ID forum under the heading "no pics yet"

Tina

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Do you have a link for that? I couldn't seem to find it.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Seed pods are swelling and I'm excited about propagating these beauties. I've taken pics, but with a borrowed camera, and since I don't have the camera software just waiting for the camera's owner to pick it up and put them on disc so I can get them posted.

Anyhow, I think mine is Lillium greyii to. Tina, they look just like yours! I love those pendulous bell shaped flowers, and so do the hummers.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Any pics yet of the lily? I'm interested in your native lilies too. Am going hiking today and will be sure to look for some... sounds very interesting. t.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow, I just checked in the P. Files for Canada Lily, I had never heard of them. It is a lovely plant!
Teresa

Please, what is the link for PF? I can't get it to come up in a PF search...

I did look it up on Google images search and that lily seems to come in a range of color from oranges to yellows..is it similar or in the same family as the tiger lilies, then?

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Someone tell me how and I will.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here it is ~ http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1027/index.html

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

tabasco, they're much more airy and dainty than a tiger lily. They range from 3-5' tall, and the color changes as the bloom matures, starting out paler then deepening. I found them truly wonderful in the garden and so did the hummers. Lots of seeds are ripening now, so we should have plenty to share.

My friend's property where so many are growing has hard soil with a lot of clay(suprising, huh?) and was a field that was mowed occasionally for hay before he built there. Hoping that means all of us who grow seed can grow them with ease. I'll post when seeds are harvested; would love to distribute these (endangered?) wildlings to as many gardeners as possible.

The only decent pics we got of the blooms are on a friends phone! They have'nt been able to get them on the puter yet, but I'm still hoping. Neal.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Neal, I sure would like some seeds of your lily. What a gorgeous plant.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Sure Maxine. I'll be sure to include some with the lily bulbs I send you this fall. Neal.

crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Neal do you still think its a Greys Lily? Mine is also growing in a field that usually gets mowed for hay. Thats interesting

Tina

thanks for the link Moby. it is an incredibly beautiful lily... must be pretty rare since there were only two pics posted. I do recall that boojum (I think) found some in her woods this season, too, though.

I didn't see any signs of them on my walk in the woods here, but then, if the deer love 'em they wouldn't be around here for me to find....I can't beat out bambi to the beauties!

Thanks for the offer of seed, gemini, but I think I better let some others who have more seed starting talent have them and I'll enjoy the pics next season...

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Tina, I'm pretty sure it is Grey's Lily. The bell shaped blooms and the way all the petioles arise from the top of the stalk makes me think so. The conditions that both you and I found them growing in are not what I'd expect for Canada lilies either.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Just had a thought.

You could go to http://www.lilies.org/slpg.html

where you will find many pics of species lilies. You could also send them a picture for a definative
ID.
inanda

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

If you do collect seeds, I would love to try a few. We live in a rural area, but I have never seen this one in the wild.
Teresa

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Sure Teresa. I'll post here when the seed are ripe and ready to send.

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

I would sure appreciate it if you could include some seed with our bulb trade this fall. How long do you think it would take to flower from seed? Thanks

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

No problem kathyvm. The seed will be ready before the bulbs have gone dormant, so I'll put you down for some.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.