More poppies!

Willoughby, OH(Zone 5a)

This is my first year for growing poppies and I LOVE them.Somniflorum,Shirley and various ones from the poppy co-op.Can I share? Nothing special,but still pretty

Thumbnail by golgi
Willoughby, OH(Zone 5a)

Some more..

Thumbnail by golgi
Willoughby, OH(Zone 5a)

pretty in pink

Thumbnail by golgi
Willoughby, OH(Zone 5a)

one more

Thumbnail by golgi
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

That 'Pretty in Pink" is a beauty too. I just found some today I hadn't seen before. Poppies are my favorites.

Thumbnail by balvenie
Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

This is my entry. So easy. Throw the seed on the ground in March and they produce such lovely flowers.

Thumbnail by OldFlowerGirl
Willoughby, OH(Zone 5a)

Oh My! They look like peonies! Lovely! I am definitely setting aside a BIG section of my garden for them next year.

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

OFG, they are beauties.An unusual magenta shade, very nice.

Chattaroy, WA

This is an annual poppy I grow every year. It is huge (6") and very full and heavy:

Thumbnail by LeeAnneH
Chattaroy, WA

I grow this poppy at the office - It stops traffic!

Thumbnail by LeeAnneH
Chattaroy, WA

Poppy - One More!

Thumbnail by LeeAnneH
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Please tell me how you started your poppies. They're beautiful. This was my first year for poppies (from seed) and not one grew. I planted many. Possibly I waited to long to start them. Do they need cool weather to germinate? I didn't start them indoors either as I do most of my seedlings because I read theat they don't transplant well.

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Don't know about weather conditions in Chicago area, but here in Western Washington I just strew them on the ground in a bare area and wait to see what happens. If they don't germinate this season they probably will next year. After that they re-seed themselves nicely, often too nicely.

Thumbnail by balvenie
Chattaroy, WA

I'm in Eastern Washington and I always keep my seed in the freezer until March. Then I sprinkle out where I want them in the spring. I think the birds eat them if I sprinkle out too soon.

Once I grow them in an area, they always come up every year. These poppies were from last year - I lost the seeds somehow but this year tons have come up:

Thumbnail by LeeAnneH
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

I will definately try again next year. I think I should have started them earlier than I did. It was aready fairly warm here and I think they need to be started in early spring. Maybe with all the seed I put out I will get some next year.

I purchased most of my seed from Park and everything else I planted came up so I have to believe it was my error and not the seed.

thanks for your input all.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

golgi--wonderful poppies--I love them, too, but can't get them to grow here---they are still little starts in the ground, and most didn't bother to do a thing...wonder what I'm doing wrong...any idea?

Thanks for your pics--everybody's poppies are so pretty. t.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I lived in the Seattle area and found the annual poppies super easy to grow. In fact, as mentioned above, if you planted them once you had them forever. Here in Ohio they are much more difficult to get going and maintain, in my experience.

I am particularly fond of the Shirley double poppies but after a few years of self-seeding they seem to revert to mostly solid reds. Has anyone else experienced this?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.