I got worm castings... now what

Coeur D Alene, ID(Zone 5a)

I finally harvested my worm bin and filled a 5 gallon bucket with their waste :-)
Now what do I do with it? I know it's a great fertilizer, but how do I use it? Can it burn plants if you use too much? For instance, how much would I use for a whiskey barrel of flowers? how about around a pepper plant? Thanks for any help!
Oh, also, I noticed that I think I had a mite infestation in my worm bin - I had LOTs of the perfectly round yellow balls. So when I harvested, I tried to make sure that I picked out as many mites as I could. I had a ton of worms - little ones, too, so I put them back in with new bedding. Do you think that the mites will still be a problem? What else can you do other than make sure the bin isn't too wet?

Thanks again,
Mara

South Portland, ME(Zone 5b)

The castings will not burn plants, in fact you can plant directly in them (haven't heard of anything that they harm, anyway). But this is overkill. I recently read that there's no appreciable benefit to a mix greater than 20 or 30% castings to soil (garden, potting, whatever). I don't remember the source, but it was someone who had done some testing themselves, so seemed credible. JIC you don't know already, keep the castings moist because the nutrients disipate when dried out. This is another good reason to mix castings with soil, less apt to completely dry out. The first time I harvested castings, I put some on top of my houseplants which was a very bad idea :) They dried out and became almost like cement.

Can't help with the mites!

~Kat

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

can you post a pik? I'd like to see what the waste looks like. I'm new to gardening, so I'm trying to learn all I can.

somewhere, PA

I mixed my worm castings in with all my containers this spring.
They are doing really well & I'll give credit to the worm castings!

Coeur D Alene, ID(Zone 5a)

noobie gardener, sorry i haven't posted a picture yet. I will try to by this weekend. I'll try them on my containers and see what happens - can't hurt if it doesn't burn them! Thanks for the help
-Mara

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.