Strawberry syrup

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

It is strawberry season here in the Willamette Valley, the neighbor has probably 50 acres out behind us. I picked about 5 gallons and took them over to my brother in law who has a Breville juicer. He helped me juice them and I got about 2 gallons of juice. I then brought it home and made syrup. My usual proportions are 4 cups juice, 3 cups sugar, and 1 cup corn syrup. Bring to boil to dissolve sugar then pour into hot sterilized jars. But this time I halved the amount of sweetener and it tasted fine. I even froze about 1 quart of juice thinking daiquiris are some other fun drink.

Next the marions will be ripe and I will make some syrup with them too but those berries have natural pectin and even the slightest cooking can make them clumpy. Ummm, any way to avoid that?

Also picked a few pie cherries, Montmorency (sp) variety from our new tree. Just love em and haven't had these it seems in forever. We had to put a large net over the tree or the birds just will clean it out.

This thread has 5 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!