Asiatic 'First Lady'

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Does anyone have a photo of this one?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I found reference to it if your google it and then click on 'images'. (Can't seem to get a link to work)
But Pridon lists it like this:
Yellowish to greenish white inside, outside greenish white with
light greenish yellow veins; yellowish white to pale yellow papillae;
pollen strong brown.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

(hugs!) Thank-you Moby. I was trying to differentiate between Tropical Dream and First Lady - this helped!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Anytime! Tropical Dream is just as you might imagine it ~ like a sunset. Very pretty.

This message was edited Jun 24, 2005 12:42 PM

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Uuuummmm.....Sue, I bought some 'First Lady' bulbs from Buggycrazy this year and put it in PlantFiles. Did you look at my pic there? It doesn't look anything like the description Moby gave of it. ?????? Wonder if I have the right name on mine. I have never known Buggycrazy to have sold any mislabled bulbs.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/104144/index.html

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

That WOULD be unlike her! I looked at yours (quickly) and Kiss Me Kate came to mind. I bet she would be willing to help with a quick email.

Yep, probably would. I'll do that now.

Before I email her I thought I would do a search too. This place has a completely different description of it:

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Plant.asp?code=B499

This place has a pic of it:

http://www.americanlilies.com/asiatics.htm

Here's a closeup of their pic:

http://www.americanlilies.com/images/Asiatics/firstladylg.JPG

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I am getting so confused.... where, oh, where are the lily experts??
(I know several are busy with upcoming shows)

Moby, what is Pridon? I can't seem to find them on the net.

found this at Gilbert H. Wild and Son

http://gilberthwild.com/product.asp?prodId=1996&catId=1013&orderField=%22Name+of+flower%22&skipNumber=0

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Hmm., well my first guess would be that mgh has First Lady - all of the photos have the ivory center and burgundy eye.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

It's a lily registry ~ unfortunately there are no pics. http://www.prideon.com/registry/hybrids.htm

Oh, ok thanks......I spelled it wrong in my search. He asks to let him know if there are any errors found......gonna let him know?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Couldn't hurt to ask.

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

Prideon is listing the lily name RHS registrations online. A mistake would not be a faulty description if it appears as such in the RHS registry.

Don't forget that some very common lilies today are not the original ones registered but they are so common that they entirely have displaced the original lily registered and defacto become the lily (taken over it's identity). This does not mean that the "imposter" is entitled to the name even if everyone knows it as that name. Therefore, you can not just "correct" the RHS classification just because a lily has pushed the original out of the way..

I hope this was clear (probably not)

Kenneth

I was just going by what he said here:

Quoting:
If you should find any errors or omissions in this listing kindly let me know

I'm not out to try to "correct" the RHS.

Mendy

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

LOL, I think most any person would be hard pressed to 'correct' the Royal Horticultral Society. I don't think I would care to try unless it was my very own creation.

I understand Ken's explanation about a cultivar being 'pushed aside' by overzealous marketing. Like DL 'Howdy' being marketed as 'Magic Dawn' when it was nothing like the real 'Magic Dawn'.

Good grief, with all of the mislabled, misnamed and mal-marketed lilies out there, we simple gardeners need some answers! Especially when we members, and who knows how many others come to DG with their questions.

Mendy, I think it would be just fine to send a polite inquiry to Prideon. Explain the situation (maybe with references to websites?) and perhaps the gentleman can be of assistance.

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

I wasnt suggesting correcting the RHS. I think the original lily may have been named correctly with RHS and (unless a mistake was made by Michael) then it was also copied correctly to the entry on prideon. The problem is more likely with the lilies in commerce today not being the "real deal". I apologize for the incoherent rambling above because I was in a hurry, but what I was trying to say was that if Michael has copied the RHS entry correctly to his webpages there is really nothing to correct. The only time you would need to ask Michael to change an entry is if he had copied the entry incorrectly. But if the lily in general commerce does not match the description on prideon (and RHS) then do not ask him to correct it. A good example is "antarctica" which today by all vendors has brown spots while the RHS (and prideon) entry states "no spots". Asking him to correct it because the lily in general commerce has spots would not be correct.

Ok, more rambling.. I am sorry.

I hope it made sence.

Ken, it's not your fault. I'm sorry I snapped at you. I'm new to lilies and wasn't sure what the RHS was or where Michael got his info. Is the info from the RHS only available in book form and that is why he is putting this info on his website? It seems strange that this lily can get so far away from the original one.

Will the real 'First Lady' please stand up? ;-)

Mendy

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Moby for sharing that link to Pridon, what a wealth of info!

Well, when my First Lady opens up (and when I FIND her - another plant without a label- ugh!) I can share a photo with you all and we will have more for comparison.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Happy to help where I can.

But I did make a mistake in the spelling ~ I omitted the 'e' in Prideon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.