Okra Bugs

Harper, TX(Zone 8a)

I have very small black bugs (about the size of fine ground black pepper) on my okra plants. Anyone have any suggestions how get rid of them. Thanks Txsdar

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

That sounds like aphids. They love to suck on the young tender shoots. Usually they will not kill a plant, but will slow it down, also the ants love to come and eat their honeydew, the juice that the aphids excrete, so that is an added nuisance.
Take a spray bottle fill it with water and add 1 tablstoon of dishwashing liquid. Mix lightly, if you sake it will get too foamy, and go spray those suckers. If they persist do it a few days in a row and they will be gone.
It is best if you don't do it during the hottest part of the day. Tell me how it worked.
Josephine.

This message was edited Jun 24, 2005 2:52 PM

Harper, TX(Zone 8a)

It is too hot to spray now, but will do first thing in the morning and will give you a report next week. Thanks a bunch. Txsdar

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Hello Txsdar, how is it going with the aphids, did the spray work?

Harper, TX(Zone 8a)

I think it is. There are still a few but they do seem to be reduced in number. But the soap spray is working great on my lemon and lime trees with scale and black mold. I am so thankful to find something that works. I have been fighting with it for a year. Thank you so much for the formula. That is another reason why Dave's forum is so great. Thanks again. Txsdar

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.