Questions about Diva and English Telegraph cucumber

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9b)

I am growing Diva and English Telegraph cucumbers this year. Well, at least that's what I think I am growing - what's what they said on the label when I bought the seedlings at a nursery.

I've been told by a poster (Rich, are you there?) here that these varieties are self-pollinating.

My questions is do these varieties just have female flowers or they have male flowers also but the female just don't need them?

The reason I am asking this is because both Diva and English I am growing have male AND female flowers. And neither of the plants seems to self pollinate. Both of them have tons of dud females (tiny little cukes getting yellow/shriveled/dry up). I hand pollinated a few of them and they grew fruit.

Hmm....

What is happening? Did I get something other than Diva and English maybe? Does this seem strange to anyone out there?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mystified...and Confused,

tmm

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/69582/index.html
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/71721/index.html

There is always the possibility that the plants were mislabeled. Diva is touted as parthenocarpic. It is not self pollinating, it just is supposed to be able to grow fruits without seed formation. Even greenhouse cukes benefits from insect pollination however. It is not uncommon for the first cukes to abort as the vine is not ready to support them. If if keeps up, then you will know that pollination is the issue.

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you Farmerdill.

It is possible they mislabled these plants but I am hoping the problem is with your last explanation ("It is not uncommon for the first cukes to abort as the vine is not ready to support them")

Are parthenocarpic cuke plants supposed to have both female and male flowers?

tmm

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Most do, but the females greatly outnumber the males. On regular cukes the opposite is true.

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Farmer,

That's exactly what I got. Probably about 4 times more female than male flowers. I am now really hopeful that they are going to take off setting fruit on its own soon!

Thanks again,

tmm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.