Can Anyone tell me what this is?

Sarasota, FL

This was all over where I grew up in California but in Florida I don't see much of it. As a kid I always thoiught it was some type of iris. The plant it is on is very grassy and tall. I have a picture of the entire plant if needed.

Thanks

Thumbnail by cinderblossom
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

That looks like a cultivar of African Iris, or Moraea Iridiodides, to me. The most common one is also referred to as the Holy Trinity plant...it's white with a yellow and purple center. It's not the same one, but it's related. There's a link here in Dave's Garden with a pic that looks like yours. Here it is:

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1882/index.html

Hopefully I'm correct and haven't led you on a wild goose chase! :]

You probably don't see much of it in Florida because I believe it doesn't like humidity. I tried to grow it here in WA state, but it rotted because of too much rain.

Hope I've helped.

This message was edited Jun 23, 2005 5:44 PM

Sarasota, FL

Oh That is it for sure. Thanks so much. I have only seen it one time in Florida in my neighbors yard but it is planted on a mound so it drains well and has some trees around it to suck up some of the water it is doing great. I am so excited to know what it is I am going to ask her for some the one she has is pretty big. Thanks Again.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

You're so lucky! I'd try mine again with better drainage, but I think they are pretty partial to hotter weather. Good luck! :]

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Very Pretty!!! :)

Marshfield, MO(Zone 6a)

It must like humidity because it grows like crazy all over the place in South Louisiana, where it is incredibly humid almost year round.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Hmmm...well maybe it's all of our rain, then. Does it rain much there in LA?

Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

They grow well here and we have very dry summers. I have both the dietes iridioides (left) and the dietes bicolor (right.) The iridioides is sort of a weed - spreads real well by seed. The bicolor behaves itself better.

Thumbnail by PotEmUp
Marshfield, MO(Zone 6a)

Our average annual rainfall here is about 60 inches.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

african iris. there is the white (with the markings) and a yellow. Grows very well in houston, texas, land of humidity. But like all grasses, will rot easily in standing water or poor drainage. beautiful plant. I have the yellow

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

See there, and I never knew there was a bicolor. I've just grown the weedy neighbor.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.