Carol's Dahlias!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Ok, guys.
My pictures aren't the best yet. It has been too windy or rainy so far. Hopefully soon better sun and pics.
But I had to show some off on what I have up to now.
It will be a long season for me because I have dahlias from last year that seem to be maturing at quite a different rate. Then the new ones that I got this spring got planted on many different days. Am so excited to see some of the new ones for me!!!

So strap on your seat belts and go for a ride in my yard!!!

Here is Lupine Dixie.

Thumbnail by daisyruffles
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Here is Shy Guy. Is interesting to put into bouquets.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

White Fawn, not quite fully open yet.

This is my only white dahlia. I use it in bouquets to offset the other colors. I would like to get another white dahlia sometime. I do have SnowBound but am not sure if it will make it.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2005 8:13 AM

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This dahlia somehow got mis-marked since last year. So I need to figure out what this is. I am usually pretty good on keeping track of my names, but...
Is almost done but... Is very pretty peach color.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2005 8:13 AM

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Here is Fanny Ann.
One of my first dahlias to bloom. Very prolific and very floppy too. Always needs to be staked.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Now I have some pics of seedling/bedding dahlias.
The flash came on with some of these pictures. Sorry. Is kind of a dark gloomy day here in Oregon.

I ended up with a bunch of tubers that just survived the winter after I dug them up. I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep them so I decided to just plant them around the yard and see what happens.
Well, most all of them are very happy in their new home. Most of these are quite short and that is fine for where I have them. But very pretty color all spread out in my front yard now.
This pink one is very pretty.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Dark foliage on this dahlia.

I will probably be digging this one up in the fall. So if anyone wants a tuber for trade from this one, let me know and we all will keep track of them.

I don't usually dig them up. Here in Oregon, they keep very nicely in my raised beds so far. But in the fall, I will be digging up ones that I don't particularly care for, too big in its area, or just have a duplicate of it. So I will let you all know what I am digging up...

Edited to say that this is 'Ellen Houston'.

Next...

This message was edited Aug 20, 2005 10:46 PM

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I guess you need to write something here to keep posting pictures.
So...

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Another one.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Yellow one.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Ok, last one for the day.

This one is a pink pom-pom that I received this spring from an older guy who had tubers from his 45 year old dahlia garden. He was selling them for 25 cents apiece so...
He didn't know the name of this one so need to figure it out.

Tune in later on my dahlias!
Thanks for looking. Not the most exciting ones yet, but the good ones are coming soon!!!
Carol

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Carol, your pictures are wonderful. I can't believe how much bloom you have. This is just so weird to have dahlias in bloom in June in Oregon. There will be many years before we ever see this again. Our dry winter really pushed them along. But now our spring and summer are too wet. Looking forward to more pictures.

My DH and I were through Albany yesterday on the way down to Junction City. Thought about you and wondered where you were. Joann

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Joann, Oh, too bad you didn't let me know and we could have met here for lunch or something.
Do let me know later if you ever do come to Albany. Would love to show you my small yard!

Yes, it will be interesting to see what other years do. But you know, I think by leaving them in the ground gives them a big head start. By planting them in even March isn't enough time to get the blooms up and running.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

very nice indeed! Great colors.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Finally finding my way back to the dahlia forum.....Wonderful pictures, Carol! I need to come over and see them for real! Are you back yet?

I saw some buds on mine today......they are still very short yet, though. Probably cuz I got them in the ground so late.

Mendy

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Mendy.
No, I am still up here in Bellingham. I left on Thurs. nite very late. Took 6 1/2 hrs to get here. Horrible traffic!

Anyways, I was going to post some more pics before I left but it was getting too late and was too windy still.

So come on over next week. Will be back on Wed. I hope.
I bet you see some buds. Yes, they are short due to being planted late. So are mine that you gave me. But that's fine. With such late good weather here, the dahlias will just last longer in the fall. You will really appreciate it then!

I will be posting more pics when I get back. I have a very pretty red one, Skywalker, that I want to take a pic of.
So later all,
Carol

Eugene, OR

Carol, I've seen some dahlias in bloom here in Eugene, but not many. Looks like you are going to be doing a lot of posting with your 100 dahlias. I have some of those Big Red Skywalkers, too. I'm waiting to see what they will actually look like.
Chad

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Just beautiful! I especially like Shy Guy!

Riverview, NB(Zone 5b)

They're beautiful, Carol.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks all.
I will back in town hopefully late tonight. So maybe tomorrow I will have a show of dahlia flowers!
Hey, Darrell, your tubers growing?
Carol

New Hyde Park, NY(Zone 7a)

Very nice, they are all beautiful

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Ok, I got some more pics this morning but of course still a bit windy and shadowed.
Here is Papageno. It is a very large dinnerplate. May be digging this guy up this fall. Almost too big for me.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Good old Wicky Woo. I love to use this in bouquets. I like the bi-color.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This one is one of my favorites. It is very dark red in real life. The lightening isn't good so need to try later in the day. It is Skywalker.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

To the right is Marie Schnugg. I do not like this one and will be removing it in the fall. It does nothing for me. With such skinny petals. Yuck!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This is Emory Paul.
It is huge! Only good for floating in a glass bowl. It really can droop in the garden bed. Last year I had to stake it up. This year I pinched it back and it does seem to be a little more in control and not as tall.
But I am going to be digging up this one so who wants it, let me know.
Last one for the nite. Will try to get more tomorrow.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

You have got a lot I don't have, Carol. Papageno has the same coloring as Desert Storm. Emory Paul is quite pretty too, a bright red?

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

A very bright burgandy red. I would be glad to give you either the whole tuber or a single tuber in the fall. Just let me know.
I had gotten these (the ones that are blooming now) from Bulb Hollow Farms (they are south of Corvallis) at Farmers Market a year ago spring. They lost most of their tubers due to leaving them out to dry when it froze. I was hoping to get some more from them but... So I was glad to get some from you and again, thank you very much.
I have 2 that I can't figure out so I will try to post them and maybe you can help me.
Later, Carol

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

I'm drooling here, Carol! I can't wait to see them for real tonight.

A couple of mine are starting to open, but I'm waiting to take pics of them till they are completely open.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Ok, a few pics for the day. It still has been too windy to take good pictures.
Here is Fire Magic. I really like this one and is the only bloom on it yet. It is a new one for me this year. Is the first one to bloom from the plantings of all the new ones I got this spring.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This is Taylor Rae.
Is a very pretty pink one.
Guess I didn't take as many as I thought. I have a few that I don't know what they are because of a mistake of labeling last year. So need to wait for others to bloom to verify them.
Nite all.
Carol

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Fire Magic is beautiful. I am very excited because I got that one in the co-op.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Ok, now have a few more pics. The weather hasn't cooperated and the cucumber beetles are taking a toll on my flowers!

Here is Frizzy Lizzy.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This one is Hulin's Carnival. I like the bi-color ones.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This dahlia came from Home Depot in a package.
The name is Karma Lagoon.
I really like this one in bouquets. It has such a different color of purple. The blooms last so long on their stalks too, I have noticed.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Ok, this one was to be Jabberbox or Marmalade and of course it isn't.
Any ideas what this one is?
I will be digging this one up in the fall. Not one of my favorite. The blooms don't last very long and is kind of scrawny of a plant. Any takers? Let me know.
I have more to take pics of but the beetles are munching on the petals royally now.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I forgot to include this picture.
This a seed dahlia that I grew last year from seed. I just put the tuber away for the winter and then planted it. Not realizing how big it would get and how prolific it would get too. But it sure adds color to my front yard!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This dahlia is 'Marmalade'.
I really like the colors.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Very Pretty Carol I can't believe how much bloom you have. I am so incredibly slow here.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Joann, You need to remember most of these are from last year so far. The ones that were overwintered in the raised beds. But of course, this summer has been very cool!
My 'Pooh' is blooming which is from Mendy from you. Also my 'Buffie G' is blooming now and need a pic. But too windy again.
Carol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.