Anything to add to poison to keep birds frm eating dead bugs

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I spayed my cherries with Liquid Sevin last night. Japanese Beetles killed my weeping cherry last year and devastated my others. I had to do it. Now I am worried about my blue birds. What if they feed those poisoned beetles to their babies?

Is there a product or home remedy that will repel birds from eating the poisoned bugs? It's too late for this round but later...

Nicole

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

This is something I always worry about, thus I end up just fighting the bugs with something less toxic. I've got a bug problem this year, but am afraid to use a systemic product. What if my toads eat bugs that ate part of the leaf with the insecticide? ..and on and on...?

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Me too! Liquid Sevin is about as 'tough' as I get. I did find a fun way to get rid of Japanese Beetles though! Get your long grill lighter and go set them on fire!!! Never thought I would enjoy something like that but I hate those things!!!

Nicole

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

If you use natural pyrethrins, they are less toxic to birds but will still kill the beetles if you spray it right on them. It damages their nervous system, they immediately can't fly or keep their balance, but it takes them a while to die so they lay on their backs with their feet waving in the air.
Imidicloprid does not affect mamals or birds, so they can eat the bug that ate the imidicloprid. When Marathon first came on the market I was afraid to use it in baskets that had flowers that hummingbirds liked and also was afraid it would hurt the lady bugs that ate the aphids that ate the insecticide, so I called the company and they said it didn't hurt them. This does not apply to Orthene or Disyston, they are a different kind of systemic.
Something else you can do for beetles is to plant a big bed of 4 o'clocks. The beetles love the 4 o'clocks and eat them, but something in the mirabilis is toxic to them and they die.
Thankfully since I've moved to south TX, we don't have Japanese beetles! I don't miss them at all.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Calalily!! I actually bought a pack of 4 o clocks for that reason but never planted them! DUH!!! Thanks on the other too!!

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

You're welcome. Plant those 4 o'clocks to have for next year, they should be perennial for you there.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Check this out my Japanese beatle solution works too well!!!!!!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/526079/

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Ha HAHA!!! I heard a joke about those bags once. Buy them for your neighbors! LOL!!

Nicole

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.