What the heck?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I received a couple fans last year from a lady I help. Didn't bloom this year. I was watering tonight, and noticed this 'dying' leaf right in the center...

Thumbnail by Moby
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

So I looked a little closer.... Sure looks like it's trying to be a flower, doesn't it? But there's no stalk ~ and it's just the color of the iris she gave me! Very weird.

Thumbnail by Moby
Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I think that's the strangest thing I've seen yet.

It looks like it's coming right out of the leaf? Or in between two fans?

What's your weather been like?

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

I had an MTB do that this year but I didn't take a picture of it. Aachen Elf produced two irises for me that way one right after the other. It came right out of the center of the fan where the bloom stalk should have been. Apparently the bloom stalk was stunted severly during development because of temperature flux this spring.

Roni.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

We did have a few late freezes but I didn't lose anything else and this is in a fairly protected location. All the other irises are long since done.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I've had a few of mine do that to me. It could be because of weather, or, if I'm understanding you right, it's trying to send up a late bloom and the rhizome doesn't have enough juice left to send out a stalk.

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

weather dose it and some times a drift from some one else yard of Round up
I have day lily Jackie's Choice blooming right now ,and it is blooming on ground had five buds just broke ground level and quit growing but is blooming , the late freeze did it here . it only takes a few mi mutes of cold at a certain part of stem formation and it stunts it .
will be fine next year .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.