Huskers Red Penstemon

Pikeville, TN(Zone 6b)

I usually don't have good luck with P. because of wet soil. I have a H. red because I read that it could take more moisture. The plant is doing very well in it's first season ( I planted it last fall). My question is how often and when to divide it. The books I have read say it is shortlived, and can dissapear without warning. I would hate to lose this plant due to ignorance. Any advice? Chuck

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Mine started out as a small plant I got in a 2" pot, that was 4 years ago. It is still going strong, in fact this year it has a lot more flowers than in past years. I've never divided it, maybe I should. The clump is now probably 18" across and thick with plants.
Deb

Pikeville, TN(Zone 6b)

thanks, thats encouraging., maybe I have longer than I thought to figure out what and how to do it. Chuck

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I'm not thrilled with mine. If anyone's interested in it - about 3 or 4 eight year old plants just email me.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

...."can dissapear without warning." Well that explains where mine went! LOL

K

Westminster, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, no! This is darned close to being my favorite perennial - don't tell me I might lose it! On the second year for this great penstemon, it is large and blooming profusely. I had been told they would reseed, but have seen no sign of that, yet, even though I let one of the plants go to seed last year.

Maybe I'll try dividing one this fall in hopes of prolonging them.

Pat.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Mine took a hike too. Short lived perennial.

Pikeville, TN(Zone 6b)

Loon, did you try to divide it?

I've had mine for eight years in half shade. It's just not robust like astilbe!

How old were all of your plants when they disappeared? Just my "luck" to have the plant survive because it doesn't thrill me!

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Mine was only several years old.

My husband has grown lupine due to the influence of Pauline Isabelle Reid Loeffler, my 102 year old departed former neighbor who taught me to garden (pirl is in her honor).
A few years ago we must have had a grouping of 50 of them in the front (we're on a corner). Then they died off as they're prone to do and we started again. We plant seeds every fall for fear it will happen again.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

pirl - are u talking about lupine or Husker's Red? :) Lost my first one the first winter I had it. Looked good but never showed in the spring. A kind DGer sent me a new start and it's in it's second year and looking great, bigger than last year.

Yes we are! I was just trying to make the point that both Penstemon 'Husker's Red' and lupine are both short lived perennials. Sorry if I was unclear: blame it on age (:o)

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Gotcha! My lupine is now 5 or more years old and increasing every year. Everyone who sees it asks what I do and the answer is nothing - apparently it likes where I stuck it so I leave it alone. lol

Kooger: now we have fields of lupine in five different areas. They really don't like dampness we've found. Some have stayed in the same spot for the last 12 years while others just don't come back.

The 'Husker's Red' will probably live forever, here, just because it's not my favorite. I can dig (hopefully) in late August if anyone wants it or wants me to share it between those of you who have lost it and really love it. I'd feel really awful saying, "First come, first served" because some of you may not be at home as I write this. I'm willing to share it between whoever writes in the next two days as long as the supply holds out. Perhaps a Siberian iris for trade: maybe a magenta or Sultan's Ruby or Ruffled Velvet - let me know. I already have most of the common ones like the Butter and Cream, a yellow one, Lavender Bounty, Caeser's Brother, Illini Charm, Scarlet Edge and Pink Haze.

Arlene

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

Here are 2 Husker's Red in my garden - 3 years old bought as 1qt plants....They have increased in size considerably this year...No sign of seedlings, but I do mulch pretty thickly here. I will have to be sure to gather some seed to make sure I don't lose them altogether...I like the dark foliage and white blossom - very contrasty

Thumbnail by esw
Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

here is a closer look

Thumbnail by esw
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I've been growing 'Husker's Red' for over 10 years now. It's become one of those things I fill in with when I put in a new garden that needs something else; just divide a clump and stick it wherever. They've shown no signs of being short lived here, and a friend I gave some to (one of the many) has seedlings showing up here and there. I've been carrying around starts from this stock the last 3 places I've lived, so I guess they just like it here. Dividing every few years may have helped, but I think they should do well for you.

Pikeville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thank you, Chuck

Brownfield, ME(Zone 4b)

esw
Gorgeous ! mine have just startrd to bud but looking forward ! I have had mine for 4yrs no problem yet.

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

I am encouraged to hear they are not short lived for everyone....I think these are about ready for division though...best in the fall or next spring???

Pikeville, TN(Zone 6b)

I have the same question

Our gardening guru's constant advice is divide after flowering is complete. If it's way too hot, just wait 'til it cools off a bit.

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

thanks...

Pikeville, TN(Zone 6b)

thank you

You're welcome.
You're welcome.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.