My favorite vine

Deltona, FL(Zone 9a)

I have always loved wisteria,and I have a few growing but as yet no blooms. I think next year they will be large enough to produce blooms...
Now on to my real favorite..Evergreen wisteria(Millettia reticulata) it looks a lot like wisteria. The blooms differ in color.They are a rich purple almost black in some cases or deep red. Last year I got one and I got one bloom. This year she has started to really bloom on my pergolia. I posted some pictures of her. And I just got a second to come across the top of the pergolia so it will cover the top.

Thumbnail by cinnabor
Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

That is a real beauty! I love that rich purple color.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Astounding vine - I will have to find one of those!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Beautiful Wisteria, Cinnabor. I wish mine would bloom

Deltona, FL(Zone 9a)

ahelms, This is not a real wisteria,,, But the leaves sure fooled me. It was Florida's plant of the year some where in the early nineties. The flowers if you look closely are quite different than wisteria. But on the whole from a distance they are a double.Except fot the color.. You have got to see one up close. On the very front of my pergolia I have two regular wisteria, the middle posts are about 10 feet away, that is where I put this plant, one on each side, and on the back posts again another 10 ft away I have planted cork screw vines on both sides. This going to be one heck of a pergolia when everything comes to size and blooms. The whole pergolia is 22' x 12'. and we drive under it as it is by my side entrance.It looks so old world south when the vines hang down.And I love the pergolia but,soon you won't be able to see it the vines will cover the whole thing. My husband asked why did he use such good wood and paint it,, because no one will know whats under neath it by next year...I told him it will need that much support to hold all this up...I'll post a picture of the whole thing later..Right now to hot out there.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Looks great! I opened the picture without looking who posted it and I knew that post.
:) Donna

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Ruth it's beautiful. Mary gave me one at the Swap. It is really doing well in this heat and humidity

Deltona, FL(Zone 9a)

Donna, That's really great, that you got one. They are so very pretty. And I paid over $30.00 for the new one I just got. Just be sure to feed it, unlike the reg. wisteria it needs to be fed to promote blooms. Good luck with it.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Here is another, or I think it is. You could e-mail her and ask how she does hers. I think this is one of the most beautiful Wisteras there are............ and the only one I have found so far that would be worth growing.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/389819/

Here is some intresting info on it.......I did not know it was a member of the Pea Family.....wow we do learn something new everyday.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1246.html

Deltona, FL(Zone 9a)

The Evergreen Wisteria is not really a wisteria...It is a Millettia reticulata...it is a semi,evergreen in Fl. Has a strange Camphor scent.2001 plant of year in Fl.. Again if you want this plant to bloom well..fertilize every two weeks keep watered not soggy. Dead heading will most times produce reblooms. The close look alike to wisteria has caused people to think it is the same family,,but it is not..as per University description. Native to Asia. Smaller growth is smaller than Regular Wisteria...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.