I Got Green!

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Out of 7 forgotten dahlias that I just took my chances with and plopped in the ground last week, 1 has growth coming up. What looks to be 3 stems are 1/4" out of the ground. I know that there are correct ways to do things but this was my first try at dinnerplates and non-bedding dahlias. This one should be Chrissie. How long til I get bloom, if I get bloom?

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Four to six weeks. Watch out for slugs they love the new shoots.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Will get some beer unless there is something better that won't compromise me as much... LOL!

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Went out to check today and Ruthann has 2, 1" stems! All the rest are sorta dullsville but here's to hoping.

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

I'm glad that your dahlias are showing signs of life. Watch out for the beer, though. We don't want to see pictures of you out in the gardens slurping out of a flower pot saucer. :~)

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Buy yourself some Sluggo (or the generic at a discount garden store). It's not harmful to animals and plants. Don't get it on the leaves though - it leaves marks.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Smiln -- ROTFLWTIME. I've read about sluggo but never bought any before.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Ok, I have to ask.....I understand the ROTFL part, but what does WTIME mean?

Mendy

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

With Tears In My Eyes. "They say, laughter through tears is the best medicine" -- Steel Magnolias.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Ahhhhh....thanks, Elizabethtown. That's one of my favorite movies. :-)

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

smilen32...that was hilarious...my husband thinks I'm crazy sitting here laughing at the computer :)

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I prefer Sluggo to the other brands. Sluggo will not harm birds or pets but the others say on the package that they can do so. I'm a confirmed Sluggo gal now!

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

YIPPEEE! I got more green. Now Sorbet and Mingus Erica have sprouts....4 out of 7 not a bad percentage. And not a slug in site yet.

Doing a happy dance, neighbors already say I'nuts so whats~

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Ok. I forgot to post when I got buds, but now I've got blooms. Chrissie, Mingus Erica, Yellow Allie have blooms. Sorbet and Ruthann have buds that haven't opened yet. Also bought a few at the local nursery when packaged ones when 50% off.

I will take pictures when hubby returns Sunday with my digital camera.

Can anyone tell me if the packaged dahlias are accurate. Irises bought that way tend to not be accurate, so I'm wondering about my dahlia packages.

Roni

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I'm a Sluggo fan too after my first dog got poisoned by the neighbor's regular metaldehyde slug flakes. She lived to age 13, good for a large breed, but it did a number on her kidneys. And I did a number on the neighbors til they moved away.

Congratulations on your buds and hopefully blooms. Those are pretty flower choices for sure.
My experience is that packaged tubers are labelled pretty accurately and grow true to any photos on the labels.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.