Jay Bird Corn

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

On the right is an early bicolor cultivar named Lucious. Small stalks and it shoots so low that the Blue Jays can stand on the ground and eat it. On the left is Silver Queen for comparison.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

My that is just like my tirple play early cultivar, the bunnies could eat it from the ground! So why do you have them palnted together, aren't thye gonna cross?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

It has great flavor, is early, but lacks the vigor and productivity that I am used to. It growing habits make it attractive to a wide array of varmints other than Jay birds. I will use my current seed stock, but will not pursue it further.

This message was edited Jun 20, 2005 12:33 PM

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Man. look at the size of those ears! I guess if they don't cross, a row here and there would make a good trap crop, I mean, keep them away from the good stuff...

gee, where did you get your seeds?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Tamara, Not in a normal year, although I would not mind if they did. Rather than stagger plantings, I put in an early, a midseason, and a late corn in the same patch at the same time. That usually gives me about a bout 30 days of fresh corn. The season is so messed up this year, that everything is late, but the late is closing up on the early. Non the less this will be gone before the Silver Queen is ready.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

OK, was just confused, because both have tassels up... Wish I had enough planting time in my schedule to do it that way :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.